Menu
sanescot
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin anywhere on Chrome / Mac OSX Yosemite

Hello everyone,

this has been asked before but all answers are very old/archived... I am trying to stream on Chrome but it is not working - no problem via Safari (which I hadn't opened in years..)

There are workarounds posted but they are all 2-3-4 years old + I have no pepper-flash to be found in my system ( in plugins I find:      Adobe Flash Player - Version : 22.0.0.209
Shockwave Flash 22.0 r0 ) so the "turn off pepper-flash" technique seems irrelevant anyways...

Does anyone have a recent solution to this? 

Thanks!

Stephan

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin anywhere on Chrome / Mac OSX Yosemite

No. You need to run Adobe Flash in order for TV Anywhere to work & you can't do that in Chrome. Firefox works.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi sanescot, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you involved in the Community Smiley Happy

Apologies to hear you've not been able to find the information you wanted. 

Google Chrome is no longer supported at all for TV Anywhere or for use with the Sky Streaming sites. This is because they have withdrawn support for any 3rd party add on's.

As mentioned by Crockret, you will need Adobe Flash for TV Anywhere to work and Silverlight for the Sky sites to work. 

Use Internet Explorer or Firefox to stream. make sure you are registering your device on the same browser that you want to stream in too Smiley Happy

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sanescot
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

I'm aware of Google's stance, but this is purely Virgin's choice here, and it is frankly disappointing Smiley Sad

I guess if I want to use my actual TV to watch TV, I'll need to purchase a looong coaxial and run it accross my living room - although everything else is wireless... Nowadays, you can already stream most TV channels on Chrome(BBC, iTV or any I've ever tried, really)... all is well and works - I actually haven't used a coaxial with my TV in years.

I hope Virgin's stance changes - it doesn't stop any type of behaviour or use. It just makes "normal 2016 use" inconvenient for its customers. To sum it up, these are the actual choices I'm left with if I want to watch the channels I signed up to:

• Watch on my tiny laptop or tablet screens in front of my turned off TV. 
  • Running an ugly cable accross the floor (or alternatively buying 100GBP+ AV emmitter/transmitter).
  • Changing my living room setup.

Which would you pick?

Now i'm thinking I should just cancel the TV - I'll clearly never use the content I signed up for, neither live nor on demand - but I'm sure the contract terms and conditions will come hit me down hard, obviously. *sigh* 

So... thanks for your time Kath, I sincerely appreciate you took the time to reply  - although I'll admit the answer is just disappointing and I'll be glad when this bad idea (for customers!) has been put to sleep by Virgin... 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos