Menu
AdeTheJambo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV Anywhere

Lately every time I try to use TV Anywhere I am told that my device is not registered, which is nonsense.

The first time this happened I de-registered and re-registered the device I was using. Used up my monthly quota of changes but hey, it worked. Happy Days.

The next time I logged in (following month) on the same device (I only use one)  I am told that my device is not registered. Follow the same procedure as before but this time after re-registering the device I am told that my device is not registered and I have used up my quota of changes. After many hours on the phone being passed from pillar to post I get a technical chap from Scotland who can reset my number of changes. Re-register the device and off I go. Missed the football match I was planning to watch it took so long.

Log in tonight to watch more football.  I am told that my device is not registered and I have used up my quota of changes. Yet no devices are showing as registered to my account.Virgin nonsense.JPG

I do not have the willpower to spend the rest of the evening and early morning on the phone so will just have to content myself with this rant and a written complaint. If anyone has any experience of this or suggestions as to how to avoid it any contributions are welcome.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin TV Anywhere

Hi AdeTheJambo, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you in the Community even though you've been having an issue. Smiley Sad

The only time it should ask you to re-register your devices is if you have updated the Operating system on the PC, the Browser, the Flash Player and sometimes if you've cleared the Cache and Cookies. 

If you've been doing any of these it could explain why you're being asked to re-register. 

I've added a device change for you to re-add your PC. open up TV Anywhere and log in. Try to stream Channel 4 and this should then prompt you to register the device.

Follow the prompts on the screen and this will register the device for you and streaming will then commence Smiley Happy

Let me know how things go.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
AdeTheJambo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the detailed reply and I will follow the steps you suggest. However I do have some additional comments;

I am not aware of carrying out any of the updates you say can cause the need to re-register but it may be that automatic updates to the OS, Flash or the Browser may happen behind the scenes. This can happen quite frequently and more often than once or twice a month, and there can be technical reasons why caches and cookies need to be cleared. If this causes the device to need to be re-registered each time this could be troublesome. Should the number of device changes not be higher, or your system be able to recognise a device independently of the software? Why is the device change even required? Netflix and Amazon do not have such restrictions as they are able to restrict the number of concurrent users, to prevent abuse of the system.

The second point refers to the time, described in my original post, I had the issue and had to refer to the technical helpline. Immediately after re-registering the device I was told it was not registered. Clearly no updates as you described would have happened in the short interval between re-registering the device and trying to use it.

I hope the Virgin technical team will continue to investigate how to resolve this for me and the many other users who have complained about this issue. I am sure we will only be a very small number compared to the number of users who suffer from the issue but do not come to the forum to complain.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us, AdeTheJambo. At this time the TV Anywhere service is limited to two device changes per month. We have not been advised if this is due to be reviewed, but if there is any change on this, we will certainly let our customers know. I am more than happy to pass this along to the development team for them to take into consideration for the future.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
AdeTheJambo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. It may assist the dissatisfied customers to be told:

1. the rationale behind the limited number of device changes
  2. what is being done to address the obvious technical issues and
  3. how to get in touch directly with the support group who can assist (rather than going through the tortuous process of calling the generic helpline)