Menu
ddontheweb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV Anywhere on the new Google Pixel C tablet

I got the new Google Pixel C tablet as a gift for Christmas. The TV Anywhere android app installs fine and I can see TV listings, use the remote control and manage recordings. However, it does not allow me to register the Pixel C as a device to watch TV on the go (I used to be able to watch on previous Google Nexus tablets).

Does anyone know if there is a schedule or fix to get the excellent new Android Pixel C tablet registered as a device for viewing streaming TV on the TV Anywhere app?

Regards

Douglas

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin TV Anywhere on the new Google Pixel C tablet

Hi ddontheweb,

Thanks for getting back to us on this. I've picked up your post as Kath is away from the office.

The Pixel C is not a currently supported tablet and we have not been informed of any plans to change this at this time. We are unable to bypass the "Unauthorized Modifications Detected" error you are getting, but as you know already, you can use the tablet to manage your TiVo®.

Manage TiVo means you can set recordings, change series links, delete recordings, see what's on TV, and use your mobile or tablet as an advanced remote control. Some Android devices are not capable of providing an acceptable level of TV streaming quality or content security, and whilst we allow these devices to be used to manage TiVo, we block them from being used to watch TV. 

Please see the current list for the supported devices here. If support is provided in future for the Google Pixel C tablet, it will be added to this list.

Regards,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi cantonbean and ddontheweb,

At present there's no news to say this will change but that doesn't mean it may not happen in the future.

I can imagine your frustration at this and we do take on board your feedback as we're always looking to improve the way we do things, so I'll pass your suggestion on to our TV Anywhere development team.

If there's any change on this, you will see the tablet listed on here on our Virgin TV Anywhere on Android devices List

Regards,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Douglas, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue registering your device to stream.

What OS is the Pixel C running? 

It's great to hear it's working for the Managing your TIVo® side of things. 

There was an update released the day you posted. Have you updated the app yet? Has this made any difference?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ddontheweb
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The Pixel C runs Android 6.0.1. I can also confirm that it is the stock OS and the device has not been rooted. My Virgin TV Anywhere app is the most up to date upgrade. I have also checked and I have freed up a device slot on my account.

When I try to register my tablet as a device for live streaming, I get the following alert message:

"Unauthorized Modifications Detected. Live streaming will not work if unauthorized modifications have been made to Android."

However, as I say, I am running stock Android OS 6.0.1 with no rooting and no modifications. The app must be analysing the Pixel C tablet and thinking there is something about it that is different. The Pixel C is a brand new Google device so is it possible that the TV Anywhere app is simply not recognising it somehow? The TV Anywhere app used to work 100% on my old Google Nexus 9 tablet running the identical Android OS 6.0.1

Any thoughts or advice?

Regards

Douglas

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ddontheweb,

Thanks for getting back to us on this. I've picked up your post as Kath is away from the office.

The Pixel C is not a currently supported tablet and we have not been informed of any plans to change this at this time. We are unable to bypass the "Unauthorized Modifications Detected" error you are getting, but as you know already, you can use the tablet to manage your TiVo®.

Manage TiVo means you can set recordings, change series links, delete recordings, see what's on TV, and use your mobile or tablet as an advanced remote control. Some Android devices are not capable of providing an acceptable level of TV streaming quality or content security, and whilst we allow these devices to be used to manage TiVo, we block them from being used to watch TV. 

Please see the current list for the supported devices here. If support is provided in future for the Google Pixel C tablet, it will be added to this list.

Regards,

Terri

0 Kudos
cantonbean
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well as it is the best android tablet around, running stock android and made by Google is there any chance of getting it added as I have one too? I see that the Nexus 5x and 6P have now been added and be logical to do this one too, or follow sky and BT apporach of not limiting your app to any device unless it is rooted 😀

ddontheweb
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I agree with cantonbean. Virgin TV Anywhere is a great app and service but the TV streaming needs to support the Google Pixel C tablet which is now the leading "iPad for Android". It makes no sense not to support the most powerful Google-own-brand tablet device.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi cantonbean and ddontheweb,

At present there's no news to say this will change but that doesn't mean it may not happen in the future.

I can imagine your frustration at this and we do take on board your feedback as we're always looking to improve the way we do things, so I'll pass your suggestion on to our TV Anywhere development team.

If there's any change on this, you will see the tablet listed on here on our Virgin TV Anywhere on Android devices List

Regards,

Terri

Mr_SD
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, 

I had to chip in on this thread. 

I've just bought a Pixel C and I'm disappointed hear that you don't support it. 

This is Google's own flagship model designed to compete with the Ipad pro. How is it that you don't support the best Android tablet in production designed by the makers of Android?

Could you please pass on a serious suggestion to your dev team that they should be supporting this tablet. It's made by Google for Google and is aimed at high end users and developers. 

Rich. 

Tags (1)
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to  the Community. It's really great to have a new face in the crowd getting involved. Smiley Happy

It's not so much the device that is unsupported, more like the OS the device is running on. We're really sorry about this, but Virgin TV Anywhere is not currently able to stream live TV to devices that have launched with Android 6.0.1 (which includes your device).

We’re working on bringing live TV streaming to these devices as soon as possible. Please note that devices updating to Android 6.0.1 can continue to stream live TV.

Hope this clears things up, and we'll be able to support these devices as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos