Menu
spike1968
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media will not develop in HTML5, this is a security issue

Every time I use virgin anywhere I am told that my browser (chrome) is not supported by Virgin. Virgins answer to this is chrome no longer supports silverlight and so can't support chrome. This has been an issue for years and google have advised all media companies that this is the case with plenty of lead time.

Netflix have made the change so why can't virgin. Virgin media response is that sky doesn't support chrome so we don't either. The number of times a forum moderator has given me a link to a sky page saying they don't support it is amazing. So you follow the example of another bad company who cannot even use silverlight properly rather than think for yourselves.

HTML5 is working and offers everything silverlight does with one exception. SECURITY!

Chrome is the most secure browser around and protects people, they have a choice on privacy too. Why is virgin media forcing customers to use inferior browsers used by less than 37% of the worlds population.

Chrome users count for 63.7% of users (as of March this year, source w3schools: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) most using the latest stable version. In comparison IE uses 7.7% of which 4.1% use v11, firefox 22.1% 13.2% uses a latest stable version and safari users amount to 3.9%, 2.4% using v8.

The question is why does virgin force customers to use poor second class browsers?

I am one customer who will not move from chrome and will instead move my TV and movie viewing away from virgin media, if this is going to be their stance. So many more options are available now and at the end of my contract its is clear that my new TV package will not include virgin. A very bad decision by virgin media.

0 Kudos
dpjohnston
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media will not develop in HTML5, this is a security issue

spike1968 wrote:

Every time I use virgin anywhere I am told that my browser (chrome) is not supported by Virgin. Virgins answer to this is chrome no longer supports silverlight and so can't support chrome. This has been an issue for years and google have advised all media companies that this is the case with plenty of lead time.

Netflix have made the change so why can't virgin. Virgin media response is that sky doesn't support chrome so we don't either. The number of times a forum moderator has given me a link to a sky page saying they don't support it is amazing. So you follow the example of another bad company who cannot even use silverlight properly rather than think for yourselves.

HTML5 is working and offers everything silverlight does with one exception. SECURITY!

Chrome is the most secure browser around and protects people, they have a choice on privacy too. Why is virgin media forcing customers to use inferior browsers used by less than 37% of the worlds population.

Chrome users count for 63.7% of users (as of March this year, source w3schools: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) most using the latest stable version. In comparison IE uses 7.7% of which 4.1% use v11, firefox 22.1% 13.2% uses a latest stable version and safari users amount to 3.9%, 2.4% using v8.

The question is why does virgin force customers to use poor second class browsers?

I am one customer who will not move from chrome and will instead move my TV and movie viewing away from virgin media, if this is going to be their stance. So many more options are available now and at the end of my contract its is clear that my new TV package will not include virgin. A very bad decision by virgin media.

I have said this on here before and you are completely correct - the only other company Virgin wants to be compared to is Sky. Their attitude seems to be 'as long as our service is no worse than Sky we don't need to improve'. Most other companies have left flash player and silverlight behind long ago, have apps for Android comparable to ios and also don't have the ridiculous 'you can only register two devices' nonsense. Other companies eg BT allow you to install app on as many devices as you want and have the technology to limit streaming to 2 devices at a time and Netflix allow you to watch Hollywood movies through Chrome on all systems including Linux!

I will be impressed with Virgin's service if they produce 1 app for tivo customers for managing recordings and a separate app for streaming for all customers over wifi, 3G, 4G or through chromecast etc which can be installed on as many devices as you want (but can only be used on 2 simultaneously). A good reliable streaming service that works on all computers with any browser would also be an improvement on Sky's service.

Technology is always moving on. Virgin should be aiming to be at the forefront of this. Instead they are a couple of years behind most other companies (excl Sky).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TiVo is using HTML 5.0 since the plumdate.

I dont really get what you are asking them to do? Maybe you could clarify?

0 Kudos
spike1968
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

TiVo is using HTML 5.0 since the plumdate.

I dont really get what you are asking them to do? Maybe you could clarify?

Tivo maybe, but not anywhere.virgin.com... their web service is behind the times and as a result many cannot use their preferred and most secure browser. Don't just take my word for it, its virgins own policy. I for one will be looking for another TV service provider when my contract expires unless they bring themselves up to date with new technology.

Now Amazon have launched their fire stick I can also use this service to access all my appd and movies via netflix or amazon, i can watch bbc iplayer etc. This negates the need for Tivo which has also become cumbersome and unreliable.

Last year I took a new package including 3 x tivo and 1 x v+. Due to the nature of Virgins reluctance to look at updating anywhere service I am now looking at getting rid of all these devices, using streaming only via tv fire stick and fire tv and recording the content using other hardware. 

It will not be long before all tv channels will be available via amazon imho.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ahh so its TV anywhere you are referring to?

I recently took to using it, to control TiVo. Which its actually pretty good at. I dont use the streaming at all as its far too clunky and restricted.

0 Kudos
dpjohnston
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Ahh so its TV anywhere you are referring to?

I recently took to using it, to control TiVo. Which its actually pretty good at. I dont use the streaming at all as its far too clunky and restricted.

That's the number one problem with it - it's really a decent app for controlling your tivo that they have half-heartedly bolted on a streaming service to. As I said in my earlier post, as many others have said in these forums, what they need to do is remove the streaming from current app and build a new one for streaming only which is far superior. They are actually well behind Sky with this as they split their app into two a while ago - sky+ and sky go.

0 Kudos