Menu
Yoram
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Anywhere works at home but not at university?

Title says it all really. My computer works perfectly fine with Virgin Anywhere at home, device is paired, everything is perfect. As soon as I get to uni, all I get from the website is a message saying 'device detection has timed out' whenever I try to watch something or manage my devices. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Anywhere works at home but not at university?

I suspect that uni network has specifically blocked video streaming, as many "public" networks do in the name of "fair use". If everyone on that network wanted to stream video there probably wouldn't be enough bandwidth to go around.

In the meantime, VM will continue to lie about the fact that you can use TV Anywhere wherever there is Wi-Fi in the UK. It simply isn't true, as you have found out for yourself.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Crockret wrote:
I suspect that uni network has specifically blocked video streaming, as many "public" networks do in the name of "fair use". If everyone on that network wanted to stream video there probably wouldn't be enough bandwidth to go around.

that should be easy to check - does bbc i player work at your uni location ?

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The fact you consider Virgin "lying" about TV anywhere availability via wi-fi made me chuckle.

My bank tells me i can withdraw money for free at any cashpoint, yet the one I tried to use on the way charges £1.95 per transaction. My bank was clearly lying to me!

0 Kudos