Menu
JohnnyGrim
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Very Poor Quality of Sky Sports on Virgin TV Anywhere, TV on the go

Could I have a definitive answer on this one please (preferably from Virgin), before I waste any more time trying to get it it to work...

I was a Sky TV subscriber and recently switched to Virgin (and took Sky Sports HD as part of my package). When I was a Sky subscriber I could watch Sky Sports on Sky Go on my laptop with no problem, I have also maintained a separate subscription to the Premier Sports channel (for Aussie Rugby League), which I can still watch online on the same laptop with no problem.

However, now trying to watch Sky Sports on the same laptop (via Sky Go's 'Virgin Media Customers click here' button) is awful, a pixelated picture with lots of buffering. I am running Windows 7 with IE 11 and I have downloaded the latest version of silverlight as requested. My internet service/speed is the same as it has always been. The poor quality of this service seems to have been regularly commented upon on this forum. 

Has anybody actually managed ever to get a decent sky sports picture on a laptop via the Virgin Media customer button? I suspect that Sky Sports streaming service it provides to Virgin Media customers is of lower quality than that received by full blown Sky TV subscribers.

I would like an an answer from Virgin as one of the main reasons for switching to Virgin was that I would still be able to watch Sky Sports via my laptop (i.e. on the go). If you just cannot provide this service please say so now.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very Poor Quality of Sky Sports on Virgin TV Anywhere, TV on the go

JohnnyGrim wrote:

Has anybody actually managed ever to get a decent sky sports picture on a laptop via the Virgin Media customer button? I suspect that Sky Sports streaming service it provides to Virgin Media customers is of lower quality than that received by full blown Sky TV subscribers.

Yes.  I used to get a very good picture on my VM broadband when I had Sky Sports a few weeks ago.  However whenever I used someone's Talk Talk broadband elsewhere there were the same issues you mention on a laptop, but absolutely no issues using a Now TV box in the same room.  I suspect the issues are all down to broadband speed, but given the discrepancy between different device in the same room it wouldn't surprise me if the streaming was inferior.

0 Kudos
clerom
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I assume you mean that you're watching via the Sky Sports website www.skysports.com not Sky Go (as this isn't available to VM customers. The Sky Sports website is a Sky website, and the quality of the stream has nothing to do with VM. 

Do you have a mobile/tablet? If so you can download the Sky Sports app and watch it on there.

0 Kudos
JohnnyGrim
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes I am watching it via the sky sports website, using the 'virgin media customers click here' button. This is where you are directed to watch it by Virgin Media...or am i missing something? Is there another 'route' to watch it?

0 Kudos
JohnnyGrim
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As I say, this is on the same laptop, using the same set-up, same broadband etc that Sky Sports on Sky Go worked perfectly on (and Premier Sports still does)...so can't believe it is my broadband speed at fault. Half tempted to rejoin Sky TV just to prove it to myself! Only switched to Virgin about a month ago so as far as I am aware nothing has changed in my set-up.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

JohnnyGrim wrote:

... same set-up, same broadband etc that Sky Sports on Sky Go worked perfectly on (and Premier Sports still does)...so can't believe it is my broadband speed at fault. Half tempted to rejoin Sky TV just to prove it to myself! Only switched to Virgin about a month ago so as far as I am aware nothing has changed in my set-up.

Out of interest, have you tried a broadband speed test at that location when the problem occurs?   

The broadband speed is probably not entirely to blame, but when there is plenty of capacity as on my fairly consistent 50 Mbps Virgin 5.0GHz broadband I have no issue, yet on a more variable Talk Talk 2.4Ghz broadband with a fair amount of channel interference there is.  That said, the latter copes with Now TV with zero issues, so your suspicion about the inadequacies of the Sky stream could be well founded.

0 Kudos
JohnnyGrim
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Speed test says 54Mb on both my PC and the laptop I'm trying to get SkySports to work on. As I say it wasn't a problem when I was accessing the 'on the go' service as a Sky Customer via that laptop, however as a Virgin customer it is second rate. A poorer streaming service from Sky for those going through Virgin? I think we should be told. Nobody from Virgin seems to be able to comment on this.

0 Kudos
JohnnyGrim
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well blow me it seems to be all working now....the trick is to give it a few minutes to settle down, it starts off all pixelated and then gradually works...about 30 seconds or so. I hereby take back all my conspiracy theories.

0 Kudos