Menu
djrock
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM no longer allow iOS 6 app to use TV anywhere service.

Could no longer login so phoned vm customer service and talked with TV anywhere support. Was told if you don't have iOS 7 you can no longer use the service.

This is ridiculous of VM to do this. Forcing you to buy a new device to use the service.

Why should I be forced to upgrade when my iPhone 3GS still works, still does everything I want it to do.

I don't want to stream tv all I want to do is manage and control my TiVo box with my phone.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM no longer allow iOS 6 app to use TV anywhere service.

It is TiVo that removed the iOS6 support not Virgin Media. 

The 3GS is old and thus Apple also do not support it anymore and also a lot of Apps now need ios7 or higher due to the changes in the way iOS works. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi djrock, 

Thanks for your post and apologies you've not been able to use TV Anywhere on your iOS 6 device lately. 

The reason you've been having the trouble logging in is because a while back, we made some changes to the app that resulted in iOS6 no longer being supported. The app still worked and continued to work for the time being as it had an active SSL certificate. This expired in January which is why you've not been able to sign in or use any of the features.

The new version of the app has a new certificate so you would need to update your device to iOS 7 or use TV Anywhere on another device that is supported. 

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

vm are not forcing you to buy a new device. Apple is. TV anywhere required the newer IOS but apple wont support the hardware. If you have apple products you need to be ready to replce them when apple stop supporting them if you want them to work with new services.
0 Kudos
djrock
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why was there no notification of this?? Somebody knew this was going to happen but stayed quiet.

The 3GS being old and Apple not supporting it anymore is not the issue, the issue is why vm did not get TiVo to update the certificate in the app or made the new version iOS 6 compatible?

Apcyberax, the quick research I have done points to the app designer that decides what iOS versions they want to support. So Apple only force you to upgrade if you want the new features of the latest iOS.

I don't know what features TiVo are making use of in iOS 7 but it looks like its possible to still support iOS 6. If its too much hassle to continue support of iOS 6 in the new version why can't TiVo go back and update the certificate in the iOS 6 version?

0 Kudos