Menu
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Using TellyTablet to Watch Tivo/V6 Recordings?

I got a V6 installed in February. While it's a great box and much better than the Tivo it replaces, I really wish VM had gone with (or even offered) a 2TB version, as I find within a couple of weeks I had nearly filled it and despite watching it almost every day it is difficult keeping it under 100%. I know I could record less or record in SD but then it seems a waste having those channels if I'm not using them. 

I thought about having a second box to add storage and another place I can watch but decided it was a bit too much so now investigating other options like TV anywhere. However the thing is I actually want to be able to watch my boxes recordings in another location, which I don't think TV anywhere actually does? 

The other thing I was thinking of was the TellyTablet. Does this offer any advantages for viewing TV from a Tivo/V6 box such as direct access to the boxes recordings? or is it basically just a nice tablet with TV anywhere pre-installed?

Also apart from the Virgin branding is it a complete open build of Android?, so you can use it for normal apps and games? or is it a walled garden/virgin specific build?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using TellyTablet to Watch Tivo/V6 Recordings?

The TellyTablet is a TV Anywhere device. There are no additional functions it does above another Android or an iOS device running TV Anywhere. With a V6 box this includes the ability within TV Anywhere to stream selected recordings from the V6 box at home, and then download others to watch out of the home.

Apart from TV Anywhere, it is a proper Android tablet with access to Google Play.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, have to say the one word I picked up on there was 'selected' so it doesn't give complete access to recordings on the box then? Could you advise what kinds of content I wouldn't be able to watch e.g. is it a technical limitation i.e. they play in SD only? or is it more rights issues with certain programmes or channels?

0 Kudos
arlowood
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

By "another location" do you mean a different room in your house or do you mean a location away from home.

If it's the former then it can be done if you hard wire (ethernet cable) the TiVo box to your wifi superhub. You can then have it visible on your local wifi network so that any device with the TV Anywhere App (Tablet, phone, PC) can access the Tivo box over the network to view recorded programmes on that device.

I don't think the second option is technically possible ATM but there may be others who know differently

0 Kudos
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would only be using it at home, just in another location. My likely usage scenario would be using it at night in the bedroom, where I don't have a physical VM connection point for another actual box. 

My V6 is already hard wired by ethernet to the superhub as this is how the engineer set it up and recommended it be used. So if I am on my own home Virgin network and watch at home on a supported device can I get complete access to my recording through TV anywhere? or does the 'selected recordings' limitation BenMcr mentioned still apply to me? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

MrRetro wrote:

Thanks, have to say the one word I picked up on there was 'selected' so it doesn't give complete access to recordings on the box then? Could you advise what kinds of content I wouldn't be able to watch e.g. is it a technical limitation i.e. they play in SD only? or is it more rights issues with certain programmes or channels?

You can see the current availability to stream and download recordings in this help article: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

The limitation is based on content and channel. I believe at the moment anything streamed or downloaded to the TellyTablet is in an SD format (even if the recording itself was in HD)

arlowood wrote:

By "another location" do you mean a different room in your house or do you mean a location away from home.

If it's the former then it can be done if you hard wire (ethernet cable) the TiVo box to your wifi superhub. You can then have it visible on your local wifi network so that any device with the TV Anywhere App (Tablet, phone, PC) can access the Tivo box over the network to view recorded programmes on that device.

I don't think the second option is technically possible ATM but there may be others who know differently

V6 recordings can be streamed when a mobile device with the TV Anywhere app is on the same network as the V6. The V6 has to be connected to your home network (by Ethernet, Powerline or WiFi) to work in the first place (unlike the older TiVo) so there is no additional setup required normally.

Downloaded recordings can be watched via the TV Anywhere app at any location whether the mobile device is online or offline, but there time limits on how long they'll remain on the mobile device before there watched and then they'll then expire separately you've started watching them.

You can't stream additional recordings from the V6 outside of the home, but you still have access to live TV channels and On Demand from the app.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help. I have just started using TV Anywhere and so far seems to be working quite well. the picture quality seems quite good considering an SD stream, though it is disappointing that you can't seem to play back HD recordings at the full resolution. Maybe ok for a smartphone but large format tablets, like Virgin's own TellyTablet are going to show up the limitations of SD. Cannot see any reason for this when on home Wifi as the bandwidth available would allow HD with ease. 

Also I notice that I have the option of streaming recordings directly to the tablet or downloading them to the tablet's storage. Is there any advantage to downloading over streaming aside from it letting you watch somewhere with no Internet? i.e. is the download of a higher quality or is streaming and downloading the same quality?

Finally, if I was to download shows to the tablet, is there anyway to make TV anywhere 'see' external storage e.g. a micro SD, as by default it only shows the space I have free on the tablets internal storage, which I like to keep open for my apps. 

0 Kudos