Menu
Stevesanders
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Use TV anywhere away from home wifi network?

Hi

Can somebody pleasee help answer what I think should be an easy question?

Here goes:

Is it possible to watch live TV through the 'TV anywhere app' while not connected to my home wifi network?

Virgin call centre reckon the answer is no while the website says:

"Watch live TV on your computer, tablet or phone ... wherever there's WiFi"

Who's right?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use TV anywhere away from home wifi network?

As long as the WiFi network is in the UK yes

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Stevesanders
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks, encouragement at last!

So when the app always says

'Not connected to tivo box on home network. To use this feature, you will need to connect your tivo box to the same home network as this device'

what do i have to do to enable the app to stream tv away from home but in the UK?

Are you virgin staff by the way? or are you just being helpful? either way it's very much appreciated...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Stevesanders wrote:

So when the app always says

'Not connected to tivo box on home network. To use this feature, you will need to connect your tivo box to the same home network as this device'
Connecting the TiVo to the Superhub will allow for using the TV Anywhere app as a remote control. And if you have multiple TiVos with the multiroom feature, the Ethernet connection for the TiVos would be required to view recordings on another TiVo (as long as the recording was made on a channel that permitted for multiroom streaming.)

what do i have to do to enable the app to stream tv away from home but in the UK?
Only certain channels are streamable, they will have a WiFi icon next to their name, ex: 2015-8-8 TV Anywhere wifi icon for Streamable Channel.png The rest you could schedule recordings for. When outside of the UK you can use TVA to schedule recordings - but not watch any of the streamable channels (down to licensing.)

Are you virgin staff by the way? or are you just being helpful?

Virgin Media staff have bold red usernames like this, I'm just frequent contributor Cat Happy

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Stevesanders
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

cool, thank you!

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, i should be able to watch certain channels (as denoted by the wireless symbol) live when the box is connected to the router with an ethernet cable?

Even though the device is connected to an entirely separate wifi system which may or may not be a virgin one?

Is that right?

Thanks for taking the time to bother - extra karma points for you!

And much more helpful than the virgin help line who told me that my device would only stream TV if it was connected to my home wifi network...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Stevesanders wrote:

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, i should be able to watch certain channels (as denoted by the wireless symbol)
Yes, but you don't need to have the TiVO linked to the Superhub for that basic TVA functionality

Live when the box is connected to the router with an ethernet cable?
The physical link between the TiVo and Superhub is for enabling the remote control functionality of TiVo / multi room streaming (if you have the service and multiple TiVo's. As this page benotes: link <click

Even though the device is connected to an entirely separate wifi system which may or may not be a virgin one?
It wouldn't be TVA if it was limited to your home network. That would be mostly pointless app if that were the case, as if you were home, your TiVo would be there to use! And just for official reference: http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/on-the-go/tv-anywhere.html "You'll love TV Anywhere. Watch live TV on your computer, tablet or phone, and on your computer you can also watch thousands of hours of On Demand shows, wherever there's WiFi."

If you scroll down that page you will see a list of streamable channels under the section: "Channels you can watch on the go -> Click to see all channels available on the go "

- - - - - -
Stevesanders
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You are so right

I asked the guy at the call centre exactly that: Why is it called TV anywhere if i can only use it while connected to my home wifi network - he just apologised and said that's how it is... then tried to sell me a mobile phone...

I'm not a technological luddite either, i set up my parents sky go app without any problems - feel like i need a degree in computer science to get TVA to operate...

It surely can't be this difficult...

I'll keep trying... Smiley Happy

You advice is really useful

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Stevesanders wrote:

It surely can't be this difficult...

I'll keep trying... Smiley Happy

You advice is really useful

This video should help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7c7yANvoJA once you've got over the initial setup (linking the app to your TiVo) there shouldn't be any issue streaming from the app from on WiFi networks in the UK.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
clerom
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You don't need to connect your TiVo box to your superhub to watch live TV elsewhere. You only need to do this if you want to use the remote control functionality in the app. You might be seeing this if you're trying to play recorded shows in your My Shows folder or if you're trying to watch on demand content, it'll be telling you to connect to your TV so that it can play this content on your TV (on demand is not available on the apps)

There are over 100 live channels you can watch live on TV Anywhere anywhere in the UK on Wifi. More info is here http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/on-the-go/welcome.html 

0 Kudos