Menu
Mersea10
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unauthorised modifications detected

Hi. I have just bought anANDROID 4.4 KITKAT - 10.1" FUSION5 XTRA POWER4 TABLET PC and have fallen foul of the "unauthorised modifications detected" problem. I am not a techie...in fact the opposite but I have read that this may be due to a "rooting" problem (whatever that is!)

To my knowledge, I have not downloaded any superuser apps. Any ideas on what I need to do to acces Virgin TV Anywhere please? Can I find & use an "unroot" app?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unauthorised modifications detected

Mersea10 wrote:

Hi. I have just bought an ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT - 10.1" FUSION5 XTRA POWER4 TABLET PC and have fallen foul of the "unauthorised modifications detected" problem.

Did you buy it as second hand/used? If so, I'm not sure how much recourse you have there with the seller/online auction website you got it from. If you bought it brand new from a big brand store you shouldn't be encountering this problem. If it's the latter, take it back to the big brand shop you bought it from and ask for a replacement while it is under warranty.

In the case of a second hand/used device, sometimes restoring the device to factory defaults does the trick. However, there are some devices which have a marker of sorts in them that permanently "unmarks" after they are rooted. Making it impossible for them to be seen as a unrooted device ever again.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Mersea10
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shelke,

Thanks for your response & apologies for the delay in replying! I bought it brand new and approached Fusion directly. It appears that only way to access the app is for Virgin to intercede or to "unroot" the tablet. I approached the manufacturer directly (Fusion) and they told me that if I attempted any unroot procedure that the guarantee would be invalidated and I may well ruin the tablet. They also told me they were unaware of any problem with the Virgin TV Anywhere App!

I have tried to get them to engage with Virgin to see if there is a solution but I have heard nothing.

Do you think Virgin could amend the app to allow access from rooted tablets?

Secondly, do you think this issue should be publicised to warn prospective buyers?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mersea10 wrote:

Do you think Virgin could amend the app to allow access from rooted tablets?

Secondly, do you think this issue should be publicised to warn prospective buyers?

Thanks 

The rooted restriction is required by the content providers and is mentioned in both the app store, and on the Technical Requirements page:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.tvanywhere

• For security reasons and to protect the rights of our content partners Virgin TV Anywhere is not supported on rooted devices where unauthorised modifications have been made to the operating system.

Technical requirements for using Virgin TV Anywhere

What you need:

• compatible Android mobile or tablet with WiFi internet in the UK
  • TiVo® box
  • your My Virgin Media username and password
  • Android version OS 2.3.3 & above for mobiles and 4.0 & above for tablets.

For security reasons and to protect the rights of our content partners Virgin TV Anywhere is not supported on rooted devices, where unauthorised modifications have been made to the operating system.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos