Menu
want2run2
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Virgin - NOT!

All I wanted to do was download the Sky Sports app - the letter I received said it was as and I quote "IT'S AS EASY AS 1, 2, 3."

So I did as it said and guess what?, I have the app but when I open it, it reads "Monday Sports News 3 months ago"!!

Downloaded the TV Anywhere app too and guess what? you have to be a computer expert to get that to work as well.

I'm a 61 year old female who manages to use a desk top computer but am a long, long way off being an expert and I have a Kindle Fire which is where these two apps are and now I have the pictures of them on my screen and I have absolutely no idea how to delete them as I can't use them what's the point of keeping them - they are a constant reminder of how stupid I am!

I wanted one of these as my husband, after having an 8.75 hour operation (to replace his aorta and an iliac artery) on 4th November 2015 and a further 5.5 hour operation (to remove a "malignant growth" found in the November operation) on 4th January 2016 and being told on 20th January that the growth was cancer, has now endured 3 chemotherapy sessions with at least a further 3 to come and I wanted to surprise him and giving him access to his beloved Sky Sports whilst sitting for 7 to 8 hours whilst they give him the chemo.

Regrettably, my husband does not even know how to switch the computer or the kindle on so I can't ask him to help because he wouldn't know how to but I could have switched the kindle on for him and it would have made the day pass quicker (or I think/hope it would have) for him.

If I had known that I needed to be a technical person, I wouldn't have even attempted it but everything I read on the Virgin website said it was "simple".  Well, if it is that "simple" then I am remarkably stupid and just so upset that I am unable to do this.

So thank you Virgin, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thank you Virgin - NOT!

The Sky Sports app is provided by Sky .... Virgin have nothing to do with it.

As for the TV Anywhere app, it works on the Kindle Fire great, but I don't believe (though I could be wrong) that the Sky app works on the Kindle. - so long as you have internet on the Kindle, then the TV anywhere App should allow you to stream quite a few channels.

To remove the apps from the kindle, tap and hold the icon on the carousel, and select "remove from device"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi want2run2, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having a new face getting involved even if the circumstances aren't the best. 

I can certainly help get things sorted with the TV Anywhere app for you. In order to do that though I'll need to know what problems you are facing?

Once you've downloaded the app and signed in, what are you seeing?

Are you getting any error messages? 

What are you trying to do exactly?

In order to watch Sky Sports, it would need to be done via the app. Currently Sky don't offer their app on the Kindle. You would need a compatible Smartphone or Tablet for your husband to watch Sports. 

Keep me posted. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
want2run2
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK am not a computer expert but there is nothing more frustrating than signing in to Virgin TV Anywhere using your e-mail address and password and getting more or less instant access when you're at home BUT when it comes to signing in at the hospital so that your husband can watch some snooker or whatever, it tells you that your username and password are wrong¬!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel both totally stupid and more than totally inadequate because I just wanted to make my husband smile but an hour into his treatment, I still can't access Virgin TV Anywhere and then I spent nearly all his treatment time (7 hours he has to sit there!) trying to get access but to no avail - all I got was more and more frustrated because it just wasn't having it but as soon as I come home and type in my password, lo and behold, the tv listings appear on my screen.

Why??!! won't it flipping well work!! at the hospital!!

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You must be connected to WiFi in order for TV Anywhere to work.
0 Kudos
want2run2
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That is what is so darn frustrating - was connected to wifi because surely if I wasn't, sign in screen would not have appeared.  It showed my e-mail address and a row of dots in the password section then said connecting (or something similar) and then said something about them not being the right ones - left my e-mail address and then in the password box asked for "password" which I typed in but it refused to recognise!!  Yet when I get home, and switch on and type in my password, hey presto tv listings appear.  It defies logic - will accept e-mail address and password when I'm at home but not when I'm not!

So frustrating and even more annoying.

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You're quite right - I just tried the app with no connection & couldn't even get to the log-in screen. I'm out of ideas, hopefully the web team can assist.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, 

Just reading this, and whilst TV Anywhere is not my forte, I do remember encountering a similar issue when my mother was in hospital. I found out that although her tablet was showing as connected to WiFi - because I was using The Cloud WiFi supplied by the hospital, it wasn't a true connection. I had to open up a browser and log in to The Cloud first, then go back to TV Anywhere and connect again. 

I've just tried logging in on My iPhone when it was in flight mode, I got an error saying that I was in flight mode and needed WiFi, however it is possible that although in the hospital you have tunnel access (WiFi is connected but the Cloud is not connected), TV Anywhere will think that there is a connection - however it's not a true connection. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

want2run2
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK if that is what I have to do then how do I open up a browser and log into a cloud please?  Am definitely not computer savvy and would also add that I haven't connected to the internet before on my kindle and don't, as far as I know, have any security for internet use either so I do know that I have to be very careful.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi want2run2, 

In order to sign in to The Cloud, you'll need to have an account with them. This page should help answer any FAQ's you may have: The Cloud FAQ's

The Community will be able to offer advice on security for your Kindle as we are unable to advise on this. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos