Menu
smudgger
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Telly tablet general use.

Hi

Thinking of getting the telly tablet can anybody give a user review as a general use tablet not going to use just for TV anywhere mainly watching stuff to and from work via SD card.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telly tablet general use.

This is probably too late, but I've had one for about a month.

For general use it's not great. It's a big and heavy and when using it in landscape mode, the keyboard is incredibly unresponsive. I work in IT and I feel like I'm typing like a 60 year old - one key at a time and checking if it worked or not. Hugely frustrating.

In portrait, the keyboard works perfectly fine, but then the screen is standing huge at that size.

It does work if you need something for the odd thing - you can always use the "OK Google" to speak to it which is accurate, but it is mainly for TV. When a program is running it is good, although the max volume isn't great.

There are also software bugs at the moment, e.g. recently I have had to reboot it in order to get sound after pressing the "Sleep/Off" button and later restoring it. Hopefully they'll resolve it as when it's running as a portable TV it's good and £300 is not too bad, but it does need some big fixes.

Brockster77
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telly tablet general use.

I've had the TT for only a few short days and so far, it's not too shabby.  Probably a little too large to use as a 'normal' tablet but can be at a push if you're not too bothered about the weight of the device.

The previous comment mentioned that it's awkward to type on the keyboard when in landscape, I concur with this remark but not too sure whether it's the keyboard or device itself.  With the device being powered by Android, there is the option to scout for other keyboards from the Play Store but, as yet, haven't had the opportunity.

The TT is great for watching telly, hence the name I guess, using TV Anywhere is pretty flawless and using the iPlayer which was downloaded from the Play Store works A-ok. It would however, be useful to have the iPlayer intergrated in the TV Anywhere app but I'm assuming there's licencing issues with that hence having the standalone app.

Going back to the keyboard, I will be using the TT whilst I will be in hospital in a few weeks time, whilst sitting I would want the TT stood up so have purchased a silicone/roll up USB keyboard to use to type/work from, having 2 USB ports makes this ideal.  The keyboard was like £12 from Amazon. I'll probably take my wireless mouse with me too to use as a 'laptop' to crack on with some work.

The only thing so far which is annoying is that the device is chargeable via a DC charger, not USB.  I'm looking to see if I can find a USB version to charge via a powerbank but thusfar, my searches have come up with nothing.

Hope some of this may help?

0 Kudos