Menu
smudgger
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Telly tablet general use.

Hi

Thinking of getting the telly tablet can anybody give a user review as a general use tablet not going to use just for TV anywhere mainly watching stuff to and from work via SD card.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Telly tablet general use.

This is probably too late, but I've had one for about a month.

For general use it's not great. It's a big and heavy and when using it in landscape mode, the keyboard is incredibly unresponsive. I work in IT and I feel like I'm typing like a 60 year old - one key at a time and checking if it worked or not. Hugely frustrating.

In portrait, the keyboard works perfectly fine, but then the screen is standing huge at that size.

It does work if you need something for the odd thing - you can always use the "OK Google" to speak to it which is accurate, but it is mainly for TV. When a program is running it is good, although the max volume isn't great.

There are also software bugs at the moment, e.g. recently I have had to reboot it in order to get sound after pressing the "Sleep/Off" button and later restoring it. Hopefully they'll resolve it as when it's running as a portable TV it's good and £300 is not too bad, but it does need some big fixes.

Brockster77
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've had the TT for only a few short days and so far, it's not too shabby.  Probably a little too large to use as a 'normal' tablet but can be at a push if you're not too bothered about the weight of the device.

The previous comment mentioned that it's awkward to type on the keyboard when in landscape, I concur with this remark but not too sure whether it's the keyboard or device itself.  With the device being powered by Android, there is the option to scout for other keyboards from the Play Store but, as yet, haven't had the opportunity.

The TT is great for watching telly, hence the name I guess, using TV Anywhere is pretty flawless and using the iPlayer which was downloaded from the Play Store works A-ok. It would however, be useful to have the iPlayer intergrated in the TV Anywhere app but I'm assuming there's licencing issues with that hence having the standalone app.

Going back to the keyboard, I will be using the TT whilst I will be in hospital in a few weeks time, whilst sitting I would want the TT stood up so have purchased a silicone/roll up USB keyboard to use to type/work from, having 2 USB ports makes this ideal.  The keyboard was like £12 from Amazon. I'll probably take my wireless mouse with me too to use as a 'laptop' to crack on with some work.

The only thing so far which is annoying is that the device is chargeable via a DC charger, not USB.  I'm looking to see if I can find a USB version to charge via a powerbank but thusfar, my searches have come up with nothing.

Hope some of this may help?

smiler4
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've had a Telly Tablet for 6 months now and I can honestly say please don't waste your money.

Negative points

1) It doesn't work well enough to make it worth while using. Yes it's a great sized screen but it is slow, and I mean VERY slow when trying to browse the internet.

2) It has USB connections so you can plug in an external Hard Drive for saving your content to to watch later. Good idea right? Well it would be but the technology around this is quite literally so out of date as to render this facility useless. So no watching those films, home videos or whatever on your external hard drive. Unless you re-format the HDD to FAT32, yes I really do mean that the tablet will onl;y read FAT32 formatted hard drives. Why is this a problem? Well, you are very limited to file sizes which is why 20 years ago Microsif set NTFS as the default format for all forms of HDD's. which basically means you are going not only have to reformat your HDD's to FAT32 but you are also going to have to split all your movies in to multiple files and live with the sound slippage tha results in.

3) The software just doesn't work. Virgin recently split the Virgin TV Anywhere app into two new programs Virgin TV go and Virgin TV Remote.

Problem 1) Virgin TV Go is supposed to allow you to watch your content anywhere, even of 3g and 4g mobile networks but you can't all it allows yopu to watch is live TV. Forget about your Tivo or T6 recordings.

So how do you watch your recordings? Well, obviously you use the Virgin TV Remote Control app! Duh! You can select which box you wish to use, it will allow you to pick any box connected to your network. Great! Pick a sh9ow from your recordings (My Shows) and select wither watch on TV or watch on Tablet. You even get options to delete and download. Sounds great right? Well it would be if it worked. I'm sitting in my computer room trying to watch the final of The Apprentice that I recorded on my T6 box earlier. ~I have had to re-boot twice and restart 4 times and I've only been able to watch 1:03 minuites so far. This is typical. I mean normal. I've never been able to watch a show without having to restart the app or reboot the tablet or both. The main culprit of this is the application errors with a message telling you you are not allowed to view your recording outside of your house or words that mean literally that. So I am in my house and I am connected to my new Superhub 3 router over WiFi and the damn thing constantly tells me i'm not allowed to watch my own recordings.

As for the download option it just never works. Probably a good thing as playback from one of my reformatted FAT32 external HDD'd is absmal, constant locking up and freezing.

Positives

It's very heavy but that's not really a problem as you can rest it on it's stand on any surface including a quilt and it's stays firmly where it's put. The stand is great, it's a shame that the tablet is so rubbish as it had massive potential that it just does not go even a fraction of the way to meeting

Save your money. Disappointing I know but there it is.

0 Kudos