Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TVa on Android 6 marshmallow - what is the current status

there have beenn many posts saying TVA not working on android 6 (marshmallow) devices and VM saying yes that is true, but we are workign on it...

so when I bought a Samsung tablet from ebay and it straight away upgraded itself to marshmallow, I thought no TVa on that then.

but I tried it anyway and it worked, logged on, streamed ok. so how come ?

Does TVA only fail on some marshmallow devices but not on older ones that upgrade to marshmallow - I cannot see how the 2 cases can be different . i installed AFTER the upgrades were all done

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TVa on Android 6 marshmallow - what is the current status

If it came out with Marshmellow it won't work, if it upgraded to then it does

Makes no sense to me it seems only a small change required if a software rom upgrade does work, but it's been a long while and galaxy 7, HTC 10 and others are still waiting
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

J0hn wrote:
If it came out with Marshmellow it won't work, if it upgraded to then it does

Makes no sense to me it seems only a small change required if a software rom upgrade does work, but it's been a long while and galaxy 7, HTC 10 and others are still waiting

i thought that might me that case but how can the app tell what the original factory OS was ?

surely an android  firmware upgrade completely overwrites whatever was there before ?

what exactly prevents the app from working on say a marshmallow Pixel C - has anyone figured that out. 

i would guess it is failing on the is this a hacked/rooted system check, but surely a bit of smart reverse engineering would suss what it needs to see & how to put it there ?. or - easier? - just hack the app to remove that check , or to code it to always return the right answer. [ that's how the HD netflix app which I am using & which I posted about recently works, on my FIre tablet. i'ts simply  edited to return certain results re widevine DRM etc. without affecting how the rest of the app works]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't seem to be as simple as updated to Android 6 vs native Android 6.  I recently bought a new Moto 4 Play phone which came with Android 6.0.1 installed.  I was able to install the TV anywhere app and it works perfectly well.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

It doesn't seem to be as simple as updated to Android 6 vs native Android 6.  I recently bought a new Moto 4 Play phone which came with Android 6.0.1 installed.  I was able to install the TV anywhere app and it works perfectly well.

so have they quietly fixed or updated the app, or the server side , recently; since previous complaints ?

we need to hear form someone with a problem device., or from staff

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

Graham_A wrote:

so have they quietly fixed or updated the app, or the server side , recently; since previous complaints ?

we need to hear form someone with a problem device., or from staff

No I don't think so, it is over a month since I first posted my experience of it working and others have confirmed that it works on some devices and not others.

The latest 'Virgin Media Presents' email says the new version of the Android TV App is to be released 'very soon'.  Of course we all know that Virgin Media timescales are a very fluid concept.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys, 

Thanks for your posts regarding TV Anywhere not working on Android 6.0.1 and above. 

Just to let you know, we've updated the TV Anywhere app for Android today. 

Can you update your apps for me and let me know how things are Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos