Menu
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TVA App Issue On Tablet

I just got a new Tablet and have a major problem with it in that, for some reason, it is making the Tivo app think I'm running a mod'd version of the OS Smiley Mad To be clear, I am not! This is an out-of-the-box, stock product.

2016-04-08 19.21.16.png

Now I'm willing to bet that neither Virgin Media nor Archos will be able (or willing, as they'll probably just say it's "not our issue") to help with this problem but I just thought I'd ask in here anyway if anyone (either from VM or not) might have any ideas if the issue can be fixed.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TVA App Issue On Tablet

If your not on the list you don't get in...

Basically you will see that message on devices that are not "fully compatible" with TVA. My educated guess is the manufacturer modded version of android OS that TVA detects and fails to allow streaming.

List of fully compatible devices at..

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/tva_android_devices.pdf

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hiya.

Yes, I remebered after buying it about the "compatible" list but it's a such a small list anyway Smiley Sad

Can't see why it won't work with any Android-bases system myself; but then I'm not an expert in the field and I guess there must be a good reason. Or is it just bad programming? Smiley Tongue

Anyway, as I said, I don't suppose either company will be bothered to do anything about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
0 Kudos
baldpaul147
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It may be worthwhile checking if your tablet has been "rooted" which basically means that it allows you access to parts of the system you wouldn't normally be able to access. Download a Root Checker App from the Play Store, may be worth downloading a few and trying them all. If it is rooted then this is the likely reason for the TVA App not working. You can then try to unroot the tablet by downloading SuperSU by chainfire from the Play Store and using its unroot feature but it doesn't always work so bear that in mind.

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

2016-04-11 12.37.25.png

Hi there and thanks for your suggestions.

I have tried one app (for now) and it says it's not rooted. Assuming this to be correct (and I have no reason to think otherwise) then I am stumped as to why the App thinks there's anything wrong. Smiley Mad

I really don't want to have to return it but only have around another week to figure out what's wrong and try to fix it if possible.

0 Kudos
baldpaul147
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK, that's a shame. Only other thing I can think of trying is to install a Root Cloaking app. I realise that even though your device isn't rooted, the TVA app is almost certainly thinking that it is (and to go back to your first post, yes it's just bad programming and there's no excuse for preventing people using a perfectly legitimate tablet!). You can find a few on the Play Store, search for Root cloak. They may not run if your device isn't rooted but worth a go. I think you just add the offending app (TVA) to its list of apps to try to fool.

I did notice another thread on these forums where somebody else with an Archos tablet was having the same issue and didn't manage to get a resolution.

0 Kudos
baldpaul147
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

One other thing to check is whether a SuperSU or Super User app has been installed on the device. This may happen if you had it on a previous device and it got auto installed from the Play Store. The presence of this type of app usually indicates a rooted device and this may be what the TVA app is looking for. Just look for anything starting Super... I guess. 

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have never had such an app installed on a previous device; but thanks for the tips anyway. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Archos are pretty well known for heavily modifying the stock Android OS. As I said, its likely THAT being detected. In which case additional apps are just going to compound the issue.

If you do some digging around at XDA Developers I am sure some solutions are available. But they are not for the faint hearted and will likely void your warrantly

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah. If I'd wanted to delve into solutions I wouldn't have sold my snail-like (post v5 upgrade) Nexus 7!

But now it looks like I might have to splash out on another "approved" model anyway Smiley Sad

0 Kudos