Menu
Wiljo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV on the go via wifi

Are there any alternatives to having to use expensive, unsecured wifi to watch tv when I am on holiday

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV on the go via wifi

Hi Wiljo, 

As long as you are connected to a network that allows streaming, TV ANywhere will work. 

There has been occasions where the owner of the wifi service has blocked streaming in which case when attempting to stream, it throws up an error. This is more common in Work places as opposed to open public networks so you should be OK Smiley Happy

With regards to risks, I wouldn't have thought there were any for streaming however there may be some associated if using your  browser. You can usually tell if the connection is secure by the https at the beginning of the web address in the browser. 

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Strictly speaking, you can't use mobile data for TV Anywhere. But if you tether & wi-fi hot-spot your phone to connect a laptop to watch TV Anywhere in browser, it does work. Your network must allow tethering, and you'll need a decent speed (4G ideally) in order for it to work.

For data usage, well, you're lucky the picture quality of TV Anywhere is poor, as that means (relatively) low data usage. For 2.5 hours it could still be a GB of data though.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wiljo, 

Thanks for your post and thanks for getting involved in the community Smiley Happy

If you are going away abroad, then TV Anywhere won't actually work. You need to be connected to a UK network in order for TV Anywhere to stream. 

If you are staying in the UK, then many places offer a secure network. It all depends on where you go. If an open network is the only option, you don't have to connect to it however TV Anywhere wouldn't stream. You'd only be able to use the app to Manage your TiVo® and / or set recordings from home. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Wiljo
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

THanks Kath_F for reply.

I was considering using wifi in the UK via Wifi Spark in East Devon.

Does your answer mean that I can use an unsecured wifi connection but I cannot 

use it for TV Anywhere? Are there any risks using unsecured wifi networks for streaming tv programmes?

Thanks, Wiljo

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Wiljo, 

As long as you are connected to a network that allows streaming, TV ANywhere will work. 

There has been occasions where the owner of the wifi service has blocked streaming in which case when attempting to stream, it throws up an error. This is more common in Work places as opposed to open public networks so you should be OK Smiley Happy

With regards to risks, I wouldn't have thought there were any for streaming however there may be some associated if using your  browser. You can usually tell if the connection is secure by the https at the beginning of the web address in the browser. 

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Wiljo
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath_f, will give it a try.

0 Kudos
Wiljo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath_F

Just got back from Devon. tried to use tv anywhere but, after a short time viewing with loads of buffering, the whole thing freezes.

It's worse on bt sport. Have you any knowledge of how many gb required to watch a football match ( say 2.5 hours)as I have a monthly allowance of 2gb on my mobile broadband. Any info appreciated. Regards, Wiljo

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Strictly speaking, you can't use mobile data for TV Anywhere. But if you tether & wi-fi hot-spot your phone to connect a laptop to watch TV Anywhere in browser, it does work. Your network must allow tethering, and you'll need a decent speed (4G ideally) in order for it to work.

For data usage, well, you're lucky the picture quality of TV Anywhere is poor, as that means (relatively) low data usage. For 2.5 hours it could still be a GB of data though.
Wiljo
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Crockret, Sorry for delay in replying, but I've been away and stll trying to watch tv through the network in Devon. I understand that although they have more than 5 access points to log on, all these go back to one central point. Therefore, if loads of people are trying to log on, the system seem to lock up. So, back to the drawing board.

0 Kudos