Menu
Murphpop
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TV anywhere, some observations

Having just moved from Sky, I was disappointed to read reviews of the TV Anywhere app in the app store.

When the engineer installed Virgin Media for me, I ask him about TV anywhere and he told me that I could view anything in my package on TV anywhere and the it worked equally well on iOS as well as Android systems. He also told me that I could view recordings from the Tivo box! The Virgin Media website also suggested that I could view anything I currently subscribed to on TV anywhere.

So feeling a bit more positive about Virgin Media I tried to view a number of channels only to discover that it was only the ones with the streaming symbols beside them that I was able to view. When I contacted the TV anywhere team they confirmed that not all channels in my package would be viewable and it would only be the ones with a streaming symbol.

Additionally Sky Sports and Sky Movies are viewed via the Sky Apps rather than the Virgin Media App which in itself is not a huge problem as those Apps work pretty well - what is a problem is that the entire TV anywhere can only be set up on two devices. Sky Go, could be set up on three devices and additional devices could be purchased for a monthly fee or more were available for their maximum packages anyway.

Three days in and apart from the 50% reduction in cost for 12months I am somewhat disappointed with Virgin Media and could well be considering moving back to Sky next year.

chriscl
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV anywhere, some observations

Join the club.

TV Anywhere is a great idea, unfortunately significantly compromised by irritating restrictions limiting its usefulness and major issues with capacity (that have been going on for nearly two years).

And when you raise this, VM do a metaphorical "shrug of the shoulders" and blame the content-rights holders, and insist that as it is a "Free" service, we have no right to complain.
clerom
Up to speed
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not all channels can be viewed with TV Anywhere however you can view over 100 channels (a lot more than Sky Go) and Sky Go also only allows you to register 2 devices unless you pay the monthly Sky Go Extra fee to get access to more.

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Three devices on Sky Go if you have the movies and you can watch Sky Go over 3G/4G. TV Anywhere is restricted to WiFi which misses the point of having an app on a mobile device.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
Murphpop
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A week on and even more irritated with VM when I discover that for my husband to view Sky Sports, he cannot log in with the account I set up for him but has to log in with the principal account holders ID even though I have already approved his iPad and phone. Can somebody please explain what the benefit there is to setting up additional user profiles when all they seem to gain is an additional password.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Murphpop, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Apologies that you are unable to use sub accounts. This was a stipulation when Sky agreed for us to use their apps. Sub accounts will work when using TV Anywhere though Smiley Happy

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos