Menu
mikevittis
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TV anywhere on android

Hi

I've just bought a lenovo tab 2 A10-70 (android tablet). I've downloaded the virgin TV anywhere app in the hope of watching some TV on the go. 

I can't seem to get the app to work. I have logged in and identified my TiVo box. The app then takes me to a screen which is comparable to the guide screen on my TiVo. 

There doesn't seem to be any option to watch live tv! I have used my laptop to watch TV on internet explorer before and had no problems, the app doesn't seem to have the options of the website though. 

There is a little TV ikon in the bottom left hand corner, but when I click that there is an error message "not connected to TiVo box on home network".

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

My tablet is running android 5.0.1.

Thank you 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV anywhere on android

I just bought the same tablet, but because of the stupid 2 device limit I have not yet dared register it for streaming - in case it does not work & I then have to wait a month to switch back to my old tablet.

but I can confirm that I have the app installed and can login, view the guide, edit series links etc. 

the first time you try to stream live TV on a new tablet you should get a " device not registered" message and a link to register it /de-register something else - remember that you can only have 2 devices registered to stream on your account

from the guide, choose a streaming channel and choose watch now ...  a window for that should open just like on PC ...

UPDATE - just tested that for you, I set channel guide to show , then  , highlighted  a  channel (5), then  at top right tapped watch now - chose watch on tablet - got to the you need to register this device window OK... If you are on all channels and have a chosen one that does not stream, e.g. BBC, you won't get to there.

be warned also that iplayer will not work. we have both bought one a of a select group of tablets on which all BBC TV and radio streams freeze after  a few seconds. BBC say their apps don't work with android 5.0.1 and that we should upgrade, but I don't think that is possible with this tablet. mIne is at 5.0.1 and says fully updated.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/android_freezing

On some devices running Android Lollipop 5.0.1, programmes will sometimes freeze after a few seconds and a message will appear stating “BBC Media Player is not responding”.

This occurs for live content played back via BBC Media Player, and also for some selected archive on-demand programmes too.

This freezing issue appears to occur when users upgrade their devices from Android versions 4.2/4.4 to Android 5.0, due to an incompatibility between the BBC Media Player application and this operating system. An update to Android 5.1.1 or Android 6 should resolve the issue and playback via BBC Media Player should work as expected.

We’ve heard about this happening on the following devices (and we know it’s happening on others):

• Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F

PS - off topic but can you advise pleas if the rear camera works on your tab 2 A10 70.

Mine does not - but I bought it refurbished from argos ebay, not new, and have reluctantly accepted a £10 refund for that .I did not want to sent back after installation of all my stuff before finding out about the camera. I tried 3 different camera apps, all report front camera only. So I am wondering if I have a faulty unit or if the rear camera is also not compatible with android 5.0.1 ( I know these tablets originally launched with android 4.4 but mine arrived with the 5.0.1 update installed)

PPS beware if choosing cases - I'd ordered one while waiting for my tablet to arrive. it was sold for 10.1 A70 but not specifically or tab 2 10.1 A70. In the 2015 tab 2 model they moved stuff around, it seems, so covers for  the original version will block both cameras & the headphone socket, and block most of the ear speakers strip. I've had to hack extra holes into it.

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I just bought the same tablet, but because of the stupid 2 device limit I have not yet dared register it for streaming - in case it does not work & I then have to wait a month to switch back to my old tablet.

but I can confirm that I have the app installed and can login, view the guide, edit series links etc. 

the first time you try to stream live TV on a new tablet you should get a " device not registered" message and a link to register it /de-register something else - remember that you can only have 2 devices registered to stream on your account

from the guide, choose a streaming channel and choose watch now ...  a window for that should open just like on PC ...

UPDATE - just tested that for you, I set channel guide to show , then  , highlighted  a  channel (5), then  at top right tapped watch now - chose watch on tablet - got to the you need to register this device window OK... If you are on all channels and have a chosen one that does not stream, e.g. BBC, you won't get to there.

be warned also that iplayer will not work. we have both bought one a of a select group of tablets on which all BBC TV and radio streams freeze after  a few seconds. BBC say their apps don't work with android 5.0.1 and that we should upgrade, but I don't think that is possible with this tablet. mIne is at 5.0.1 and says fully updated.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/android_freezing

On some devices running Android Lollipop 5.0.1, programmes will sometimes freeze after a few seconds and a message will appear stating “BBC Media Player is not responding”.

This occurs for live content played back via BBC Media Player, and also for some selected archive on-demand programmes too.

This freezing issue appears to occur when users upgrade their devices from Android versions 4.2/4.4 to Android 5.0, due to an incompatibility between the BBC Media Player application and this operating system. An update to Android 5.1.1 or Android 6 should resolve the issue and playback via BBC Media Player should work as expected.

We’ve heard about this happening on the following devices (and we know it’s happening on others):

• Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F

PS - off topic but can you advise pleas if the rear camera works on your tab 2 A10 70.

Mine does not - but I bought it refurbished from argos ebay, not new, and have reluctantly accepted a £10 refund for that .I did not want to sent back after installation of all my stuff before finding out about the camera. I tried 3 different camera apps, all report front camera only. So I am wondering if I have a faulty unit or if the rear camera is also not compatible with android 5.0.1 ( I know these tablets originally launched with android 4.4 but mine arrived with the 5.0.1 update installed)

PPS beware if choosing cases - I'd ordered one while waiting for my tablet to arrive. it was sold for 10.1 A70 but not specifically or tab 2 10.1 A70. In the 2015 tab 2 model they moved stuff around, it seems, so covers for  the original version will block both cameras & the headphone socket, and block most of the ear speakers strip. I've had to hack extra holes into it.

mikevittis
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cybmole

Thank you very much for the reply. You have fixed my problem!! It seems as though I was on a channel that doesn't work, and so I just assumed the whole thing was faulty. 

Thanks for the info on the BBC iPlayer too. I have downloaded the app, but it appears as though it will be useless. Let's hope they fix the problem, or we get a software update soon.

Regarding your specific enquiries:

Both my front and rear facing camera work fine, so it seems as though you do indeed have a faulty unit. Just like on a smart phone I can switch cameras on the standard camera app.

I found a great case on Amazon for just under £10. It is specifically for this model so all the holes are in the right place. It's by a company called Bee Biz if you are interested. 

I'm pretty happy with our choice of tablet so far, I think it's a decent midrange model. I didn't want to spend any more than £150 so I think this was a good deal.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with my query.

Mike

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thanks of the camera feedback. I bought mine as refurbished with 12 months warranty from argos on ebay for £120. I noticed after ordering it that John lewis have them at £150 new with 2 year warranty.

So it arrived & I'd spent all day setting it up before spotting the camera issue. As I have a Fire tablet with a good working camera I figured I'd keep the Lenovo  and hustle for a partial refund instead, [ we have more than enough cat pictures already ! ] but all I got was a £10 take-it-or-leave-it goodwill offer from argos, ( I'd asked for £30).

So I put it into a paypal dispute but paypal's verdict was send it back for a full refund which was available anyway... so I have agreed to £10 goodwill , which has yet to arrive in my paypal account.

For a return, I did read that a  combination  of opting to encrypt device then doing a  factory reset would have made my passwords unrecoverable but I did not fancy the hassle of going through the returns process.

i also did not realise for a day that I'd ordered a blue tablet & received a black one!, I am so used to electronics being black it just did not register.

Lenovo A10 screen quality is great for videos though. less reflective and larger than my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, and it's full HD so 1080p videos get to stream & play in native resolution.

If I could start over, though, I'd take the John Lewis deal.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

i registered my Lenovo A10 tablet, in place of my Fire tablet  adn tried some streaming - all OK

but please- can we have 3 or more registered devices per account- surely i's better for you and the content proviers to give us more legal streaming options- there's no " 2 devices only" nonsense with netflix, spotify  or Amazon prime ,so can you not negotiate the same deals that they do ?

as I'm dreaming on, the option to download  a show to the tablet and watch it later, offline, like I can with amazon video content, would be nice also . you can't take a Tivo on the train!

0 Kudos