Menu
martyp
Superfast
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TV anywhere crashes in TV Guide - Galaxy S5 (Android)

I reported this issue probably about 2 years ago now and was told an update was coming out to fix it and that it was tested to work fine on Apple iOS...

Basically this happens I'd say every time I open the app on my Galaxy S5 whether on 4G or Broadband (Virginmedia):

1) Open the app

2) Select TV Guide

3) Start going through the channels starting at the top to see what's on each channel that day (skip some channels)

4) Get as far as Film4 and when I select it I get an error report come up. Send the error report (must have now done this about a hundred times)

5) Open the app up again and all will be working fine.

The other part of the issue is that the channel names are mostly not displayed and I have to guess what they are.

Is there ever going to be a fix for this? I have done countless reboots, removing, reinstalling, deleted data etc.etc. and I believe this also affected my Galaxy S3 before that.

Anyone else had this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV anywhere crashes in TV Guide - Galaxy S5 (Android)

Hi martyp, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great to have you involved in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the TV guide crashing on your S5. I'm not really sure why this is happening. Checking the test device on this end, the guide is working as it should be. 

We've not had any reports of this kind elsewhere either so it makes it look like a device issue. 

Have you tried taking your device back to factory settings? If not give this a go. Make sure you back up anything you want to keep though as a factory reset will delete everything. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for the reply, I feel a bit reluctant to go through the whole procedure of a factory reset as I'd have to reinstall all the apps and everything all over again and set everything back up. It seems a bit of an overkill to resolve an issue with just one app when I don't have any other problems with the phone at all, no crashing in any other apps or anything at all.

I remember having the same issue on my last phone as well, a Galaxy S3. Here's the thread where I mentioned it then:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/Channel-names-intermittently-showing-in-TV-Guide/td...

It was one of the first apps I installed on my Galaxy S5 and have had issues with it right from the start, one reply suggested that the idea of caching the channel logos would be passed on to the developers.

My last phone was with T-Mobile so I suspected the possibility of branding/locking to that network causing issues yet the S5 was from Phones4U and should be unlocked and unbranded Samsung firmware.

Could it even be something to do with my account or something? I would ask for a test account to try logging in or something like that. I don't want to lose anything in my existing account though.

The channel logo issue seems to happen most of the time the crashing seems to occur first thing in the morning, I'll wake up and open the app and go down the TV guide and it happens, it then crashes and works fine after. Is it something to do with the app running in the background or the phone coming out of like a sleep mode or something?

I've sent numerous crash reports back, do they give any details of what it might be possibly?

Can I ask if the test phone there is a Galaxy S5 or something else?

I'm trying to test it on my Galaxy S3 but getting the usual 'We're currently experiencing high levels of demand...' message

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi martyp, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

I'm really sorry but we're not able to give the Test account details out to anyone outside of the department. They are for us to run checks and that is it. The test was done on a Samsung S5 though. 

Since you posted, I have received a few more instances of this so have raised each one to the team to see if there is anything in common. I've done this with your account too now so hold off on the reset for now. We may need to come back to this at a later date though. 

I'll come back to you when I hear anything back from the team. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath, I did try out my old Galaxy S3 again and the channel logos seemed to display on there ok (I did use to have the same issue on that phone too). Will be interesting to know of any developments there.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi martyp, 

I've just seen a tip shared by another user who was having the same issue. 

Can you do the following: 

Turn of wifi calling: Go to Phone > More > Settings then scroll down and untick Wi-Fi Calling.

Try TV Anywhere again. Has this made any difference?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for the suggestion although would it apply to a Galaxy S5 on Android 5.0? If I go into Phone either through Settings or on the main screen (click on the three dots to get to settings), the only Wifi calling option I can see is 'Internet Call'

When I go in there I have Internet call settings which has 3 options:

Internet calling (SIP) accounts (empty)

Use Internet Calling - Only for internet calls (default - other option is for all calls)

Receive incoming calls (unticked)

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi martyp, 

It looks as though this option will only be available if you are using EE or Vodafone. 

As you're not it's not a viable work around for you. 

We are still investigating this though and hope to be able to update you shortly. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

I am actually with EE but can't use their wifi calling feature as it's not an EE branded phone they told me.

0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I tried a couple of times this evening, the first time I got to about channel 30 before the logos stopped displaying then a bit further the 2nd time then I viewed random channels going down until I got to TCM and it crashed. I did consider whether not having the movie channels (faded) had something to do with it. I now have the movie channels so all of them are showing as available to view etc. but still crashed.

I sent a crash report but took screen shots of them as well, looks java related?

Screenshot_2015-12-17-20-22-00.pngScreenshot_2015-12-17-20-24-08.pngScreenshot_2015-12-17-20-25-32.png

0 Kudos