Menu
pknx123
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TV anywhere app

Just moved from SKY. Must say I am/was shocked to find such an outdated app. I should have checked beforehand, but seriously disappointed with what I have seen so far. They should have called it the 'remote anywhere' instead. Anyone know when/if there is an update on the way ? Thx 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV anywhere app

I'm not familiar with the sky app so could you tell me what we're missing and what should be changed so that its more up to date.

0 Kudos
pknx123
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

it is much more user friendly, heaps more catch up and channels to both stream and download. Layout is slick as opposed to the weird and clunky layout of TV anywhere and why give users the option to watch something 'on tv' when you are accessing from an iPad.

Makes very little sense to me. Otherwise they should just have called it the 'remote anywhere' ....
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The "Play on TV" feature is useful as it allows much quicker and easier browsing of recorded shows and a quicker way of starting them.

I've just got the other way, from VM to Sky and I find that the Sky app is missing the features I used to use a lot on the VM app, namely being able to see a list of recorded programs and upcoming recordings and also to manage series link settings, which I used to use a lot to plan what I was going to watch and to check if I had recordings set up for specific programs without having to turn on the TV etc. all I use the Sky app for now is setting up remote recordings.

Also with Sky everything seems to be scattered across different apps, Sky+ for setting remote recordings, Sky Go for streaming and SkyQ (which doesn't actually let me do anything because I don't have a multi-room subscription, but which the Sky+ app keeps popping up a message telling me to use)

0 Kudos
pknx123
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate your perspective, but I do not see how the 'play on tv' is useful. The idea is surely that you should be able to play it on the device, not on your tv. Why would I want to use my iPad as my remote ?

I might be getting too used to the 'netflix' and 'amazon' model (which is where things are headed) but I do not see why anyone would want or need to link anything if it is easily available on demand as is the case on SKY's app. The Anywhere app also looks like old tech.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As I said, the app offers a quicker and easier way of getting to your recordings and some slightly nicer controls for operating the box etc. something that the Sky app doesn't seem to have.

I'd much rather have a program on series link than use on demand, with series link you can just set up the series link and forget about it (on TiVo at least, not so much on Sky where the box seems to forget about series links when a series ends and requires you to then set them up again!) and then just sit down with a nice list of all the stuff you have to watch, on demand always seems to require lots more hunting around for the programs, switching between different apps for different shows and relying on the fact that the show you want to watch has actually been put on on-demand and doesn't get removed again before you watch it. I do use Netflix and Amazon, but only for shows that I can't get through regular TV.

Incidentally, the TV Anywhere app does let you watch on-demand shows and live TV (plus recorded shows if you have a V6 box).

0 Kudos
pknx123
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Let's agree to disagree. I don't need my iPad to function as a remote. To me the TV anywhere app is clunky and outdated compared to Sky's offering and no, you cannot access half as many shows as on Sky.
0 Kudos