Menu
Susieq1933
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere

can someone please explain to me the point of TV Anywhere ?????? 

I can get it at home on my iPad but no where else because it won't connect to the FREE Wifi. I am fed up with it. My dad is in hospital but NO l can't connect to watch any programmes (he wanted to watch the football) and right now l am in a Holiday Inn

with free Wifi and guess what l can't connect.

to top it all Virgin wrote to me and said that they were going to put their price up by £2.50 a month !!!!

i moved over from Sky thinking Virgin would offer a better service.

moved 

I can't over to Virgin from 

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere

As you have found the hard way, a lot of public Wi-Fi specifically blocks video streaming in the name of "fair use" or will throttle the available bandwidth to a level where streaming simply isn't possible.

While other providers are constantly looking to improve their mobile TV offerings, Virgin Media have apparently given up on trying to keep up with the competition. They continue to say that TV Anywhere works on "any UK Wi-Fi connection but that simply isn't true.
0 Kudos
Susieq1933
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

i realise what you are saying and the more l experience Virgin the more l realise they are in no way superior to Sky. To be honest l prefer sky and intend to go back to them on a good deal as soon as l can !!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Susieq1933,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having an issue streaming from TV Anywhere when connecting to open networks. 

I spend a lot of time at the hospital due to my father being disabled so whenever he is in, I like to make sure he has something to watch etc. Most hospitals now connect you up via The Cloud. Make sure you have signed in to the network before trying to open TV Anywhere. 

The best thing to do after joining an open network is to ensure you have a working connection by opening a browser and trying to browse. If signing in is required this is where it will come up. You may be required to enter a few details in to gain connection however this will be unrelated to Virgin Media so don't put your account details in. 

Once you have a working connection via your browser then go in to TV Anywhere and try streaming. 

With regards to the £2.50 upcoming price rise, this is down to Sky. They are raising their prices for their Sports and Movies customers. As we pay them, any rises also need to be passed to our customers who have these services. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Susieq1933
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

thanks for your response.

i can connect to the Internet no problem (both in the hospital and in the holiday inn express) but l still can't watch to anywhere.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Susieq1933,

Thanks for coming back to me again with this. 

In which case then I would expect this is down to the same as what Crockret has advised.  Either the bandwidth isn't sufficient enough for the app to recognise you are connected or the owner of the networks have disabled it for streaming. 

I can only apologise about this but there isn't really anything we can do to help on this occasion. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
chriscl
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F wrote:

Hi Susieq1933,

Thanks for coming back to me again with this. 

In which case then I would expect this is down to the same as what Crockret has advised.  Either the bandwidth isn't sufficient enough for the app to recognise you are connected or the owner of the networks have disabled it for streaming. 

I can only apologise about this but there isn't really anything we can do to help on this occasion. 

Thanks,

Yes there is - you can open up TVAnywhere to allow connections from mobile 3G/4G networks, you know, like Sky do?

Oh wait "We can't do that, our content providers won't let us....."