Menu
cjdshaw
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere web search problems

I typed in "The X Files" in

http://anywhere.virginmedia.com

None of the upcoming new series appeared, just irrelevant results, plus the X Files movie from On Demand . I pressed Return and got a "Page Not Found" error. Well done Virgin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere web search problems

Hi cjdshaw, 

Thanks for your post and apologies that you were unable to find The X Files when searching for it on Saturday. 

Were you looking to record the new episode on Monday? 

I've checked today and I'm only getting the film too. It's not finding the upcoming episode on Monday or last Monday's episode. 

I've contacted the team about this to find out if this is an issue. Once I hear back from them I'll be in touch with you. 

In the meantime, you can watch the show if you missed it via Channel 5 On Demand here: http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-x-files/episodes/episode-1-748

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi cjdshaw, 

Thanks for your patience whilst I went away to look at this. 

The team have come back to me and advised that there is an issue with searching currently so this is why The X Files wasn't showing. You can view upcoming episodes here though: http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/show/the-x-files-sh012596590000

With regards to it being on Catch Up, Channel 5 haven't given us the rights to show this so we won't be adding it to our line up. 

As mentioned in my previous post you can catch up on the Channel 5 website Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
cjdshaw
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. The matter seems to have improved somewhat, but now when I search for anything, no channel icons appear in the "Upcoming" or "On now" sections. If I click on a program, I'm always taken to the SD version, not the HD. I then have to scroll all the way down the to find the HD version

This relates to a longstanding problem - the only reason I go to TV Anywhere is to set my Tivo to record a program, and I will always want the HD version. All my favourites are HD channels, yet the website constantly gives precedence to the SD version. It's 2016 - HD really should be the default

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi cjdshaw, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this Smiley Happy

The reason SD id standard is because you're not able to stream in HD yet from TV Anywhere. When searching for things, the website is assuming you may want to watch Live Streaming or any Catch Up / On Demand content relating to the show so it automatically defaults to SD. 

I will pass your feedback over to the team though Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
cjdshaw
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

In that case, it would make sense to default to SD for Catchup/Live and to HD for upcoming
0 Kudos
cjdshaw
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Has any progress been made on the web search? It's just awful. Today I typed "American Horror Story", hoping to record the new series. The list included "American Dad", "The Neverending Story", "A Moment of Horror" and some old episodes of AHS, but the new upcoming episodes were nowhere to be seen. Surely it should prioritise shows that exactly match the search term, rather than ones that only match one word?!?

Note that the same search term on the iPhone app gives a perfect list of the AHS series, allows me to choose the new one, and record it

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi cjdshaw, 

Thanks for your update. 

We're always making little changes to improve things but we have found the search functions tend to change depending on what you're searching for.  

For example, there are 5 different sections to the search: 

Best Match 

On Demand

Catch Up

On Now

Upcoming

Usually the search function will show up any exact matches in the Best Match section and top of the other sections too. 

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
cjdshaw
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sure. Here it is. Note that nowhere on that list is the upcoming new episode 6-3 which I want to set to record with my Tivo

TVAnywhere.jpg

TVAnywhere.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi cjdshaw,

Thanks for sending the screen shot. Checking this, I can see that Episode 3 is now available via On Demand on TV Anywhere and also due to air tomorrow: 

American Horror Story: Roanoke

Episode 3: Chapter 3 Tomorrow Wed 05/Oct 22:00 on Fox

Apologies that this episode wasn't available yet when you were searching for it. We update the Upcoming list when we have the confirmation from the programme broadcaster.

I can see that the listing on the Search option shows that the show starts at 21:00, but I have verified that it starts at 22:00, so I've sent this over to our programming department. 

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos