Menu
dellyVirjin
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere stuttering, buffering, low quality, nightmare

Reading the forum I am not the first person to report this, I will not be the last and very probably this message is a total waste of my time but oh well..

I sort of feel sorry for the support staff on here who have to go through this again and again but are powerless to improve the service despite raising tickets with IT.

I really don't understand how the management can justify such poor levels of service. Pay packets I suppose.

TV Anywhere is totally unwatchable and not as described or fit for purpose.

Amongst the many frusrations are

1. Poor quality streaming 480p is it?
  2. Constant stuttering - rewinds every few seconds and replays a 2 second section
  3. Image stops while audio continues or full on halt buffering
  4. Sky sports package is a total joke, want to watch SS1, login on the Sky site, watch something (for longer than ridiculous password timeout) change channel on Sky, ERROR please sign in, try to sign in again whole page errors out, must close tab/browser go back to Virgin TV page, change channel, resign in. Absolute farce. Raised it on a call, girl had no idea even what I am talking about, gave up LOL

And what is really annoying is any of these bugs can easily be spotted by Virgin by simply using the service? You know what you have and you still sell it.

Instead the support process is 'it must be your setup', my wifi, power levels etc etc. It's almost funny but it really isn't, it's none of these things, it's Virgin's poor infrastructure setup, underpowered servers, over sold service. Classic. 

I had Sky before and they were a pain but at least the service worked. IPlayer, oh yea it works, youtube yep works too. It's a 150mb line and Virgin can't even stream a 480p (very low quality) service?

Its mind boggling, another marketing led IT company selling what it can't provision. Seen how that ends? Anyway I will see out my contract and switch back. If you don't invest more on your streaming site you are going to haemorrhage a lot more people like me.

Win 10 / Wifi / Firefox or IE / Full package / Regretting the switch

Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere stuttering, buffering, low quality, nightmare

I've been banging on about all of these issues for 3 years now.  Virgin Media pretend to care, but nothing changes.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi dellyVirgin,  

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. Even though the circumstances aren't great it's still a pleasure to have you here.

Apologies for the delay in responding to you. I've been off managing a team in another part of the business. 

I can confirm there is some work being done to increase the capacity and this has already started so we shall see how things are once this work is completed. 

Currently the issue we have is every time we have someone sit and watch TV Anywhere, we don't see the buffering issues. On the occasions we have, we've been able top put it down to something and then make a small change to resolve it. 

I can understand just how frustrating it is when something doesn't work so can only say sorry at this point and hope that the upgrades being made will help. 

In the mean time, your reports can help us. Pop any information you can in the survey here: TV Anywhere Buffering Issues

I'm here if you have any further questions. 

Thanks,
Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dellyVirjin
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Point 4 on my list is easy to recreate. Just follow my steps. Its a bug and no one cares less.

Secondly, BBC/iPlayer have improved their video profiles substantially over the last 12 months and most sports I am seeing at 50fps, perhaps you should email them and ask them to give you some advise on how to achieve smooth and high quality streaming at variable bitrates, because whatever you are doing it isn't working. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015-07-the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer

0 Kudos
LesDx
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I assume those survey reports have no effect on your engineering teams?  It's now five months later and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as posted above.

Nevertheless, I'll send the report in.

0 Kudos