Menu
Bigbadwolf5
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere registering device not working

Hi, I just had a V6 box installed as I want to be able to stream TV recordings to my iPhone and iPad. Unfortunately, the app/website won't recognise that my iPhone or iPad have been registered.

In the TV Anywhere app, it said that my device needed to be registered. I have recently upgraded my phone, so deleted my old phone registration and registered again.

Going back to the app, I was told that I still needed to register my device. I deleted my phone and registered once again but still it won't recognise that my phone is now registered. I now have no more device changes permitted this month. The same problem occurs on both the iPad and iPhone apps even though I haven't changed my iPad.

I checked by V6 box settings and noted that the setting to allow a network remote control was disabled. I changed this but to no avail.

I am able to set up recordings via the app.

I note that I am using the latest version of iOS (10.1.1) and the Safari browser and have not used any other browser during this process.

Of particular note: on both devices, when I go to the Settings / Streaming / System Information, under Mobile Devices it says "0 of 0". Which would appear to suggest that the box hasn't been set up for media streaming properly.

I would greatly appreciate some help. It seems as though everyone who raises this issue gets told to use the same browser and update their systems software and/or app. I have done all of these things already.
Bigbadwolf5
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere registering device not working

I appear to have solved my problem.

By opening up a streaming TV channel in the iPad and iPhone app first, I was then able to stream a recorded show.

Please could the Device Registration page be updated to clarify this as many more customers will be affected with the introduction of the V6 box? A simple 'Please open a streaming TV channel before attempting to stream recordings from your box' message would do the trick.

Or even better, could the registration process work without needing to open a streaming channel first?!

Finally, please find a better alternative to the infuriating Craptcha system!

Hope this is helpful to other V6 box users. The V6 box is so much more responsive and rapid at moving between menus and streaming is something I've wanted for years.

Many customers upgrading will find the process annoying though if not told about the need to enable network remote on the box and to open a streaming channel on their mobile device before trying to stream recordings. Perhaps engineers could be asked to do turn on the network remote function during set up and guide customers through mobile device registration...
cjp1
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Another point regarding registering a device, 2 devices really isn't enough, virgin media really need to increase this to at least 4 or preferably 6. 

It seems we are now being encouraged to stream more content from the new V6 box than before including viewing away from the home network but for a family of 4+ this isn't really practical with only 2 devices allowed.

Sky I believe allow 4 devices to be registered to an account.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Won't happen unless they re-negotiate licencing contracts, which would be costly. Virgin wouldn't want the possibility of multiple people in say a flat all watching movies but only paying one bill.
0 Kudos
Ian27
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Had exactly same problem and this workaround works - why do not virgin support team fix this or least tell everyone?
0 Kudos