Menu
rob4321
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere on iOS/Without TiVO/ Puffin Browser (plays flash on iOS)

It's the old issue:  I have an iPad (and I don't want a laptop!), I don't have Tivo (and I don't want Tivo!) but want to use the TV Anywhere...very, very much.

I have come across a browser that plays flash files on iOS: Puffin Web Browser by CloudMosa, Inc.

I thought this would solve my, and many others', problem.  It does allow me to play trailers but it does not run programmes.  Any chance Virgin could throw a switch and it would work?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere on iOS/Without TiVO/ Puffin Browser (plays flash on iOS)

You have to use the IOS app and you need a tivo for that, I doubt they'll allow this

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere on iOS/Without TiVO/ Puffin Browser (plays flash on iOS)

I can't see it ever working for a couple of reasons

1) This is the most important. According to the Puffin Browser app store listing:

The data centers of Puffin Web Browser are in the US and the cloud servers can only access public web sites from US geolocations.
* For users outside the US, local content, especially videos of local interest, may not be accessible from the US due to geo-restrictions in your home country.

As TV Anywhere currently only works when your connected via WiFi in the UK for content rights restrictions and other reasons, then even if any other technical requirements were met, it would be blocked on geographical grounds, as TV Anywhere would see you as trying to connect from the US.

2) TV Anywhere registers the hardware ID of your device against your account. Puffin use Cloud based servers to deliver Flash to iOS, meaning the device detection would be looking at hardware in the US, not your device - which I would think would be a problem.

3) As dannylau says, Virgin Media require mobile device users to use the available apps. This is in part for content rights reasons as much as it is technology.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos