Menu
Linjeakel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere on PC only plays BBC channels

I have both my PC and a Kindle Fire tablet registered as my two devices for TV Anywhere. All the available channels seem to stream without delay or problem on my tablet, but on my PC only BBC1 and BBC News will work. The rest just have the never-ending circle of doom as it tries to connect, but no error message.

As I can at least get the two BBC channels on my PC without any problem, I have to assume that my PC setup/browser etc is supported and that it's correctly registered. As I can get all the channels on my tablet using the same network (200Mb Virgin broadband) I am also assuming that my network connection is adequate.

So why are only two TV Anywhere channels working on my PC?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere on PC only plays BBC channels

What OS and browser are using on your PC?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Linjeakel
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 with Firefox 50.0

(IE11 just tells me the PC isn't even registered, when clearly it is, but that's another issue entirely!)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm not quite sure why you can stream BBC but not Channel 4, but just to check Firefox haven't changed anything recently, I've just done a clean install of Firefox 50 (and Flash 23 for Firefox) and have been able to stream Channel 4 immediately.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Linjeakel
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well, I have no explanation but I've monitored this over the last couple of weeks and little by little I've been able to access more channels. I've made no changes to my set up but I just tried about a dozen channels at random and was able to access all of them.

I know that whenever there is a big sporting event or similar that people say they can't access the channel and then suddenly when the event is over they can - suggesting it's a capacity problem at Virgin's end. That doesn't seem to be the case with me.

As I say, I can't explain it, which isn't helpful - I'll just have to hope it doesn't let me down and suddenly become unavailable again when I really need it.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Linjeakel wrote:

I know that whenever there is a big sporting event or similar that people say they can't access the channel and then suddenly when the event is over they can - suggesting it's a capacity problem at Virgin's end. 

Yep - there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence for that

I'll just have to hope it doesn't let me down and suddenly become unavailable again when I really need it.

Betcha it does...

but the obvious test is to try another PC or tablet on the same network, same router... as you are allowed to register a generous  up to 2 devices per month . 

and try Firefox in place of IE/Edge or vice versa ( that may cost you a registration though) . Don't waste a device change to try Chrome - it's not supported.

0 Kudos
mike1212
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

hi Can any one help , I am having the same problem but am unable to watch any programs I have windows 7 on the pc. it was fine 2 weeks ago now I am unable to watch it

0 Kudos