Menu
Rick681
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere on Linux

Just recently got Tivo with TV Anywhere. Very Pleased so far. However I Know V-M Don't support GNU / Linux, but I don't need support, I just want to use my TV Anywhere under linux.

I have the latest Mozilla Firefox, also Chrome, Chromium, Opera & Midori browsers. Lets stick with Firefox for now: - Latest version, and I now have Flash Player 19,0,0,185 running in Firefox - verified as working by Adobe Flash Player website.

There MUST be some kind of OS detection running, as the "Detecting Device" just hangs and times out, despite everything necessary being in place. Works OK on Hudl tablet, but I don't want to watch TV on this!

My problem is that we are a Linux household, and don't do Windows (not for past 7 Years). Linux Mint 17.2 (64 bit) is a fully functional up-to-date OS, and is perfectly able to run everything windows can (and more) for my needs. It's fine on you tube (Flash & non-flash) and with all other latest video protocols and on-line TX services etc.

The majority of the internet runs on Linux Servers (Not Microsoft), so why the restriction for V-M TV Anywhere?

Please. could someone look into removing the OS restriction - the warning of reduced functionality and lack of support is sufficient.

Many Thanks,

Richard.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
dpjohnston
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV Anywhere on Linux

Netflix has been available for a while now on Linux using chrome browser and BBC iplayer works in any browser. If these services are happy that there are no risks in making their content available on linux then I don't know why Virgin would have a problem.

dave2660
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Adobe stopped development of the Linux version of Flash several years ago, so the latest official version is 11.2.  My understanding is that TV Anywhere requires Flash version 11.4, and that's the reason why TV Anywhere has never been supported on Linux. It isn't that the broadcasters don't want to make their content available on Linux, just that there isn't a suitable official version of Flash available for Linux.

I know that there are other ways of getting the latest version of Flash working on Linux (which I'm guessing is how you've got Flash 19 on Firefox), but suspect that as these are unofficial workarounds they wont be supported by Virgin Media.

Remember that Virgin Media would be required to do all they can to protect the copyrighted content that they make available on TV Anywhere, so aren't likely to support any version of the player that isn't "official", which is probably what Kath was alluding to in her post.

As Chrome isn't even supported on Windows I can't see it being supported on Linux.  I believe that the lack of support for Chrome is to do with the slightly different version of Flash it uses.  If you've taken the Chrome Flash plugin for Linux and got that working in Firefox (which is possible with the help of an additional wrapper) then there is no chance of it being supported for use with TV Anywhere.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richard, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm afraid that we're not able to remove the OS restriction as this would violate any agreements we have in place with Channel providers. 

Currently the technical requirements to use TV Anywhere are listed here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=9E966504-52D2-49F7-9EAB-8EBAF5B9F4FC

If we do end up expanding this to include Linux, we'll let you know.

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Rick681
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Many thanks for your detailed reply - at last someone has been able to explain why the OS restriction is in place.

I'm a little disappointed as Linux is quite widely used nowadays, and a little-known fact is that the majority of internet servers use Linux rather than Microsoft (Runs better and virtually virus-free!. However, we digress!.

I realise that this is not your fault, but do you think there would be a possibility in the future of having an open-OS TV anywhere system?. I would hope that the subscription and username / password access would be sufficient to keep the channel providers happy, especially as I can access all individual channels on the relevant websites  on Linux (via Firefox etc).

Thanks again for your time, look forward to any future developments,

Kind Regards,

Richard.

0 Kudos
dpjohnston
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Netflix has been available for a while now on Linux using chrome browser and BBC iplayer works in any browser. If these services are happy that there are no risks in making their content available on linux then I don't know why Virgin would have a problem.

Rick681
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good Point DPJ, many thanks for reminding me of this (I'd forgotten that my eldest uses Netflix on Linux, and we all use iplayer). I have also got Flash v19 running in Firefox so there is no technical reason for the O.S. block, it just appears to be politics. I do feel that we're missing out though, because the whole family uses Linux, so we cant get the most from the service.

Thanks for your input,

Rick

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Adobe stopped development of the Linux version of Flash several years ago, so the latest official version is 11.2.  My understanding is that TV Anywhere requires Flash version 11.4, and that's the reason why TV Anywhere has never been supported on Linux. It isn't that the broadcasters don't want to make their content available on Linux, just that there isn't a suitable official version of Flash available for Linux.

I know that there are other ways of getting the latest version of Flash working on Linux (which I'm guessing is how you've got Flash 19 on Firefox), but suspect that as these are unofficial workarounds they wont be supported by Virgin Media.

Remember that Virgin Media would be required to do all they can to protect the copyrighted content that they make available on TV Anywhere, so aren't likely to support any version of the player that isn't "official", which is probably what Kath was alluding to in her post.

As Chrome isn't even supported on Windows I can't see it being supported on Linux.  I believe that the lack of support for Chrome is to do with the slightly different version of Flash it uses.  If you've taken the Chrome Flash plugin for Linux and got that working in Firefox (which is possible with the help of an additional wrapper) then there is no chance of it being supported for use with TV Anywhere.

Rick681
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wow, Thanks Dave.

A very comprehensive and explanatory answer. All makes sense now.

You are absolutely spot on with the fact that I'm using a wrapper or similar to operate Flash V19 in Linux Firefox (I used a script which "Borrowed" the pepper flash part from Chrome). Nice to find someone who understands!

With the Chrome flash version, this also works flawlessly in Opera and Chromium, but as you've pointed out, there is little chance of Chrome being supported in Linux as it's not accepted for windows.

So the upshot is, I'm stuck!. I (WE as a family) have run happily on Linux, both for business and pleasure for the past 8 years. One son does dual boot for Gaming purposes, but otherwise we stick with Linux.

It's unfortunate, but looks like I can't get the full benefit of my new package. I was hoping to watch my channels upstairs on my PC via TV anywhere, but I'll have to look into alternative methods for "Multi-room". Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your time Dave, Excellent reply!.

Rick.

0 Kudos