Menu
Raelik
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere on 3G/4G

Why is it so difficult to allow the app to be used over the mobile network?
I've been a customer for years age ago, had stopped with TV & Broadband then started again. Since the start of TVA there's always been some talk about mobile data usage. But never action. Even a survey on here stating "what would you like most from TVA" with 3G/4G being one. So what's the hold up? What's the difference between streaming on Wi-Fi and 3G/4G?
0 Kudos
Raelik
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere on 3G/4G

I found a workaround, of sorts. I can hotspot my phone and then connect my tablet to this hotspot. This then makes TVA believe it is connected to "Wi-Fi". It works just as well as using the home Wi-Fi. Which goes to show mobile data is fully capable to use TVA.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

...but only if your mobile data plan allows tethering.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raelik, 

Thanks for your post and apologies that TV Anywhere still isn't what you'd like it to be. 

I understand your frustration and the development team have taken on board many things fedback to us. 

Be careful with tethering as not only do some providers not allow it, some charge alot for it as it may not be included in your data plan Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Raelik
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's all fine. Mine does support tethering, plus I'm an experienced support technician with a mobile phone carrier so I'm all good with it all. Thank you. And I do hope they can add the mobile data function onto the app. It would open up the app to the standards of the other suppliers. Mainly Sky...
Thank you again. 😊
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raelik, 

Thanks for coming back to us here Smiley Happy

I'm glad you've been able to find a way. If you do have any issues, let us know and we'll happily investigate however while you are connected via tethering, this would be unsupported. 

As soon as we hear of any developments with TV Anywhere, we'll let you know.

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Raelik
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I fully understand that you're not supporting it. Yet Virgin need to understand also, this is a forced action in cases where Wi-Fi isn't always available at the time of use. For example, in hospital.
So I do encourage the team to simply enable the app to be connected via mobile data. If it is the data usage which is discouraging, a nice reminder pop up before using the streaming service would suffice most, if not all situations.
Is there no current status on this possible function available?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raelik, 

Thanks for coming back again Smiley Happy

It's not as simple as one would think as there are many factors to consider at our end. 

Currently there is no news on the app being available on 3G and/or 4G. 

As soon as we hear anything, if we do, we'll be shouting it from the rooftops. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos