Menu
itsmonkeyboy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere not detecting a device

Trying to watch TV Anywhere, but the detecting device is just spinning.  Tried device status and just does the same.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Tried a restart to no avail.

Using Safari on a Macbook.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere not detecting a device

Hi itsmonkeyboy,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that your device is no longer being detected. 

Since the last time this was working for you, have you updated anything such as the OS or the browsers? 

When going to anywhere.virginmedia.com > My Profile > Device Settings, is your Device still showing as being registered there? If so, delete it so the slot is freed up for you. 

I would start by using either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Make sure you're running the latest version and there are no updates to be run. Delete Flash and re-download to ensure you are running the latest version. Clear the cache, cookies and browsing history.

Go back to anywhere.virginmedia.com and sign in as normal. Go to the On Now section and select Channel 4 to attempt streaming. Follow the prompts on the screen and this will register the device for you and streaming will then commence Smiley Happy

Let me know how it all goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
itsmonkeyboy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm I have not updated the browser or OS, I don't have these set to automatically update and have not performed any updates.

I've tried another browser, I don't have IE or Firefox, but have opened in Chrome and this simply states no devices detected.

I've tried clearing down the browser history, cookies, cache on Safari to see if that works, tried that a few days ago, but it didn't do anything.

So I've installed Firefox and it shows the device there, so I'm guessing that I can delete the device and hopefully re-add the device. But the issue here is that I don't want to use Firefox. I want to use Safari as my browser and therefore want to use it for TV Anywhere, how can I fix the problem with Safari - and why has the service failed on Safari in the first place - especially seeing as this isn't the first time - I had a similar issue but a month ago.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi itsmonkeyboy, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one. 

Chrome isn't supported so don't use this for anything as it will use your device changes up and now do anything else. 

As it's working via Firefox for you, this suggests it's an issue with your Safari as opposed to your account itself. 

Make sure the Cookies are set to always and not use allow or block. See if that makes any difference. 

Let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
itsmonkeyboy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No difference I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi itsmonkeyboy, 

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I really don't know at this stage where the issue could lay. As it's working via Firefox, I would stick with this going forward. 

If using Safari is a must for you, try giving the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 so they can take a look at all your settings. They may be able to pick up on something that I'm missing. 

Apologies again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos