Menu
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere mobile app won't update or install and can't move it to SD card

I have the Virgin Media TV Anywhere mobile app successfully installed on a number of mobile phones and tablets. However, in the case of my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo 890N, I can no longer update the app as I get the error message “Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card.”.

I had also been trying to moving the app to the SD card, which it seemed to support, but the move failed every time.

In summary, I'd like to install the latest version of the app and be able to move it to the SD card to save internal system storage. I am now concerned that this problem may occur when I try to update the app on my other devices too.

It would also be nice if the app was supported on more than just two devices. My wife also has a phone and tablet and I don't think that it is unreasonable that TV Anywhere should be supported on four or more devices, especially in households with more than one TiVo box.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV Anywhere mobile app won't update or install and can't move it to SD card

Hi Felim_Doyle

Sorry to hear that you are unable to update the TV Anywhere app.

The app does need to be installed on internal memory. Have you managed to remove the app from both internal and SD card memory, then try to re-install the new version of the app?

It does sound like when trying to update the app it is trying to install via the SD card rather than the phone's storage. You can also try to update the app when the SD card is removed and see if you get the same error.

Let me know how it goes

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Felim_Doyle

Thanks for getting back in touch. Hope all is well.

At the moment there is no news on if this will be a movable app as of yet.

In regards to adding more devices to use the app, I'm with you on this as I would also like to have more devices use this including the Sky apps. As mine are currently used up and would like more slots to use other devices.

If there is anything that comes up in the future in regards to making the app movable or adding more registrations, I will let you know.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you have insufficient storage in either your phone's storage or SD card to install this update.

I suggest you need to delete application from both areas which you don't absolutely need.

0 Kudos
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am able to update and install other apps on the same device and the SD card has about 28GB (of 32GB) free! Unless Android ‘partitions’ the SD card in some way to allocate fixed amounts of storage for apps, music, photos, videos etc. then there shouldn't be a problem. However, I appreciate that each app, even if stored on the SD card, has some overhead on internal system memory but, as previously stated, I have been able to install new apps and update some larger apps (e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox ...) without any problems.

I've only seen this error message with the TV Anywhere app (so far) and, up until now, it has installed and updated flawlessly on all of my Android devices.

Félim
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Felim_Doyle

Sorry to hear that you are unable to update the TV Anywhere app.

The app does need to be installed on internal memory. Have you managed to remove the app from both internal and SD card memory, then try to re-install the new version of the app?

It does sound like when trying to update the app it is trying to install via the SD card rather than the phone's storage. You can also try to update the app when the SD card is removed and see if you get the same error.

Let me know how it goes

Sam

Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Samantha,

Thanks, that worked!

I had changed the “Default Write Disk” from “SD card” to “Internal memory” and rebooted to be sure that it had taken effect but it didn't work. It never occurred to me to simply unmount the SD card (no need to physically remove it) then install the app before remounting the SD card.

I have spent 30+ years working in the IT industry and consider myself to be a technophile and gadget guru. Sadly, on this occasion, I was expecting a complicated solution and so overlooked the simple one.

Thanks again.

Félim
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Felim_Doyle

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I'm glad this is now working for you. At least it was something simple to get it working again.

If you need me to check anything else for you, then you know where to find me :-)

Take care

Sam

Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sam,

Thanks again for resolving this problem.

Is there any news on whether or when TV Anywhere might become a movable app? I doubt that there is any technical reason why it can't be made movable and it seems as though it is already being recognised by utilities as movable so it may be almost there!

Perhaps this question belongs in a separate thread but, with multiple household members having multiple devices, is Virgin Media considering lifting the restriction on the number of registered devices for TV Anywhere?

Regards

Félim
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Felim_Doyle

Thanks for getting back in touch. Hope all is well.

At the moment there is no news on if this will be a movable app as of yet.

In regards to adding more devices to use the app, I'm with you on this as I would also like to have more devices use this including the Sky apps. As mine are currently used up and would like more slots to use other devices.

If there is anything that comes up in the future in regards to making the app movable or adding more registrations, I will let you know.

Regards

Sam