Menu
SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere is driving me mad!

Today, I tried to watch the last 20 mins of a live football match that was on BT Sport.
I am using IE 11 on a laptop that has previously been registered as a device.

Note: on Win 8.1 using the desktop version of IE.

(Reluctantly by the way, I'd rather use Chrome!)

Anyway, it said the device was not registered so I deleted the old entry and re-registered it with a new name.

Then it says the device is incompatible.

So I gave up and watched on my tablet instead.

I then thought I'd go back and just pick anything as a test.
Now it says, the device is not registered and I've reached my device limit and have no changes left this month!

I've just bl**dy registered it so how can it be a different device.

Come on VM get your act together, this is stupid!

SD

SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere is driving me mad!

As an update to the above post.
It says my device is restricted and unsupported..

Requirements are supposedly...quote:

"Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8 / 8.1
IE7 or higher".

Well, 11 was higher than 7 when I went to school and I'm on Win 8.1!

SD 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi SD, 

Thanks for your post and apologies for the issues you are having re registering the device. 

As you didn't complete the registration, the device wouldn't be registered at all. I'm not sure why the device change was taken from you though if it wasn't completed (due to the error in the device name) 

Just out of interest, Is your laptop a touch screen one? Or one that can be turned into a tablet by detaching the screen? 

Google Chrome has never been supported but we were able to use a work around by disabling the Pepper Flash and using the Adobe flash instead. Google have made changes to block third party plug ins working so i'm afraid Chrome is no longer an option. 

Let me know about the device so I can help further Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using a Lenovo Ultrabook with touchscreen but it's being used in "Normal" laptop mode not as a tablet.

I'm running IE 11 in desktop mode on Windows 8.1.

The device does show as registered  but I get this message:

"Live TV or On Demand Streaming Not Available

Due to rights restrictions, this device is not supported for watching live TV and On Demand.

For more information about the minimum requirements & supported devices, please click here, or click ‘Continue Anyway’ below (not recommended)."

Note I have previously used the same setup to watch TV Anywhere so I don't know what has changed?

Update: Just tried again after this post and now it says device limit reached.

I'm using the same device with the same settings?

I'll delete the old entry and I suppose I'll have to try again in March

SD

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi SD, 

I'm afraid that devices that turn into a tablet are blocked due to rights and licencing agreements. 

Devices that turn into Tablets, require an app as browsing is not allowed. Currently, as you can see form the compatibility list here: http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/on-the-go/tv-anywhere.html Windows tablets are not compatible. 

If and when we get an app for Windows then you can then use TV Anywhere. In the meantime you can use TV Anywhere on a standard PC /Laptop or a compatible mobile device. 

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Well thanks for the reply Kath and  know it's not your fault personally but this is ridiculous.

For a start I very seldom use this as Tablet, I am sitting in my own lounge using it as a laptop which is how I use it  99.99999% of the time. I'm not even using IE11 in  Windows 8 Mode!

Unless I fold this over and use it as a tablet then as far as I'm concerned it is the same as any other laptop running Windows.

I have had this Ultrabook for over a year now and TV anywhere used to work fine so why the change?

I can view Sky Sports by logging onto their website using my Virgin Media credentials but I can't even watch normal channels via TV anywhere that anyone can watch legally on tvcatchup.com. For example, I'm watching ITV 1 on here now via tvcatchup.com while my wife watches something on the TV that was recorded this morning.

If i wasn't for the fact that I've been with WM since it was Telewest and I agree that cable broadband is the best, I think a switch to Sky for TV would be very attractive. Don't really want to have two suppliers to get the best of both worlds.

SD

SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Since my last post, I've been reading around a bit and it seems that this problem has occurred since an "update" was supposed to block Windows Phones.

However it is detecting touchscreen laptops as well so basically, this is a bug!

Also, you say that it is "due to rights and licencing agreements" but apparently it is likely to still work if I install Firefox.

Well I can't try that until next month due to the device limit.

What a mess!

I guess I was right with my first post, VM have cocked it up so they should sort it out --- Fast!

SD

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi SD, 

I'm afraid you're a little mistaken here. 

It will work on Firefox if you are using a touchscreen laptop. 

This is a laptop that can only be used as such, just with the added benefit of a touchscreen. This is a bug and we are working to fix this. Firefox is the work around. 

Your device isn't a touchscreen laptop. It's a Laptop that can be converted into a Windows tablet. Your device is blocked due to the licencing agreements. It is treated the same as a Windows phone, as a mobile device. 

I know this isn't the news you want to hear however this is not a bug in your case. 

Apologies for any confusion. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

Thanks for your reply. 

I still believe that this is  bug. 

As previously stated, I am not using it in tablet mode so it should be detected as a laptop not a tablet.

Are you suggesting that even Firefox won't work then? 

My machine is a full blown laptop that can be used in tablet mode not the other way round! 

SD

0 Kudos
SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

As an update, I have installed Firefox ready to test when I am entitled to add a device on 1st March and it doesn't seem to reject the device as unsupported - yet.

If it works on 1st March then at least I will be ok although I still think VM have made a mess of this.

If it does not work then I will be ringing to request a reduction on my payments until it is fixed because I have lost a service that I have had for over 12 months on this device and now thanks to recent increases, I will be paying more and receiving less!

btw Kath, I know it is not your fault personally but if there is anyway my right to add a device can be restored this month then please let me know by PM and I will provide my account details. (Unlikely I know, but that's what a company with good customer service would be able to offer). Smiley Wink

SD

0 Kudos