Menu
steve_pud
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere - as long as you're at home

So I wonder if anyone can help?

We upgraded from Tivo to Tivo V6 with the expectation that we could stream saved content from the V6 to an iPad - Anywhere. When I read the word "Anywhere" - to me that means "all over the place", as in - not limited by location.

Now however it seems that you can do that from anywhere as long as that anywhere is within your home. 

I have other issues with registering devices but I can no doubt easily find answers to that on here.

My question is:

How can I view recorded content from my V6 when I'm out of my home? 

My Setup:

Virgin SH2, TiVo V6 always connected via power line. iPad Air or Samsung Galaxy S7 edge. Logged on with main Virgin account (cos secondary accounts can do even less which is rubbish!)

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere - as long as you're at home

To watch recorded content outside of your home network you first have to download it to your mobile device.

Direct streaming of recordings from the V6 is only available when your mobile device is connected to the same home network as the V6 box.

However to be clear not everything that can be streamed can be downloaded, however the availability is improving.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
steve_pud
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben, thanks for your reply and the info...

Thats not particularly useful when travelling a lot. Its also not at all clear from any webpages or info that this restriction is in place.

Boasting that customers can stream from the V6 using TV Anywhere app is way too misleading.

If I cant make this work with a VPN, Virgin may well be coming to collect the box - as that was the only function we upgraded for.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm not aware of anywhere where Virgin Media say that the ability to stream recordings from a Virgin TV V6 works anywhere other than in the home.

0 Kudos
steve_pud
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't say it doesnt either - and by calling it "TV Anywhere", what exactly does that imply?

What is the average persons expectation when you tell them a product has TV streaming capabilities and is called TV Anywhere?

Should have called it "TV anywhere in the home"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It does say TV, not recorded TV, and you can stream TV channels while away from home.

0 Kudos
steve_pud
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I can do that without having upgraded to the V6 though, no?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The first thing it says in the help within the app when talking about what you can do with the app:

If you have a V6 box, you can also:

Watch some recordings on your mobile or tablet at home or download them to watch anywhere offline

Similar information is in help content for TV Anywhere on the main help site, and also in the V6 user guide in several places.

0 Kudos
steve_pud
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Great, now go off and find where it's clear in the pre-sales pages?

Whilst you focus on trying to show how this is my mistake and not shoddy advertising, perhaps we can spend a little time trying to work out how to make it work?

A VPN perhaps? 

Once connected to the SH2 via VPN - will this allow connection back to the V6 to stream or is the system only going to allow WiFi streaming?
Once on the VPN the iPad will obtain an IP address from the SH2 so will in effect be on the home network, Right?

thanks

0 Kudos
planetf1
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Presumably sky sports can only be viewed on the tv itself and not streamed? That would be my guess? I assume they can be recorded, right???

0 Kudos