Menu
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere app for Apple TV 4?

Are there any plans from Virgin Media to port the TV Anywhere app to tvOS for the Apple TV 4?

Since buying this device, I've found our family is gradually spending less and less time in TiVo. Apple TV supports HDMI CEC beautifully and grabs the TV input as soon as I press the Apple TV remote, so it's almost always the first thing my family see on the TV.

So instead of remembering channel numbers and scrolling the TiVo guide, the family are going to apps like TVPlayer (live free view channels), Netflix, YouTube, Now TV, iTunes, RedBull, Vevo etc. And soon there'll be BBC iPlayer, Amazon Video and more, and there will be little reason to use the TiVo. At that point, there doesn't seem much point paying for Virgin TV. Then I'm looking at broadband only, and then it doesn't seem worth staying with Virgin. Which is sad.

So it seems advantageous to Virgin to let their their TiVo customers use the TV Anywhere service on Apple TV, and help retain customers on subscription. I'm happy to pay a subscription (even when it goes up) as long as I can see a benefit that competes against other services. I can use TV Anywhere on PC, laptop, tablet and phone which is great, but not my Apple TV.

So please Virgin, do yourselves and your customers a favour and let's see a TV Anywhere app on Apple TV soon before other services beat you to it.

If I've missed a something or not seen a good reason why Virgin shouldn't provide the app, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere app for Apple TV 4?

I doubt you will ever see TV Anywhere (or Sky Go) on devices such as Apple TV or Chromecast or ..... since this would effectively cause Virgin Media and Sky loss of multiroom revenue.

0 Kudos
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

An interesting point, a couple of thoughts.

As described in my original post, it's quite possible they will lose customers to a better service or suite of services on Apple TV. So it looks like there's a risk either, and Virgin Media would need to assess what would lose the most revenue.

However the multi room "problem" is easily solved from Virgin's point of view, without losing revenue. TV Anywhere already has a 2 device cap. Why not shift the multiroom charge to the device cap? Virgin customers would still pay for "multiroom" except they're actually paying to add the Apple TV as a permitted device. Whether that's part of the 2 device cap, on top, or an additional special unlock for Apple TVs, doesn't matter, the effect is the same. No loss of revenue, and the added benefit of reducing the risk of losing customers to competing services.

Virgin are a smart company, they're in a business that is rapidly shifting away from the old "channel number and guide" model. I'm sure they'll do the smart thing for both their customers and shareholders.

dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, Netflix, Now TV (Sky movies and TV), TVPlayer (Freeview plus extra channels with subscription), Redbull (sport), Vevo (music) and now BBC iPlayer. I think I just need Amazon Prime (although I can airplay that now) and then I have all the entertainment I need on the Apple TV. The family is rarely using TiVo now.

Again regarding the Multiroom argument, Sky have already solved this by allowing Sky Go (plus?) on the PS4 which you pay extra for. So they don't lose out on the multiroom. So if Sky Go is on PS4, then why not on Apple TV. At that point... why VM at all?

My package renews in March, and right now can't see the need for VM TiVo subscription at all now. I just need broadband.

Please VM, see sense and bring TV Anywhere to Apple TV, you can charge extra if you like, it's no big deal.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cancel now if TiVo no longer meets your requirements.

0 Kudos
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Early termination of a contract normally results in penalties of some kind or loss of money. Is that not the case with Virgin?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Assuming you haven't heard yet, you will be advised of a price increase in February. This allows you to cancel without penalty.

0 Kudos
dabozuk
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No, I didn't know. Excellent, I'll call this weekend.
0 Kudos