Menu
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 48 (148 Views)

Re: TV Anywhere and Sky Sports

Hi Nat_J
Many thanks for your response.
It's a Lenovo Yoga Book with Android version 6.0.1
Everything streams including BT Sport except for Sky Sports channels and it will not register in the Sky Cinema and Sports option (I only subscribe to Sports not movies). I use Virginmedia and sign on to Sky via the Virginmedia option.
My Galaxy S7 Edge - Android version 7.0 - is registered and I am able to stream Sky Sports to it.
Possibly the only thing I haven't tried up to now is to reset the TiVo V6 but am trying to avoid the hassle, and should it be necessary anyway.
Kindest regards
Bryan24
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 22 of 48 (145 Views)

Unfortunately this is a known issue with the Sky app where it sometimes crashes when linking out from the TV Anywhere app. Sky are aware of this issue and will fix it in an upcoming release.

Works for VM. Posts are my own opinion.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 48 (142 Views)

Hi PaulG
Many thanks for your input. I see that this was also an issue sometime ago but thought it had been resolved. Seems like it could be not stable.
Regards Bryan24
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 24 of 48 (129 Views)

Hi Bryan24

I also have a Lenovo Yoga Book Android with the same issue as you - Unfortunately, Sky Sports has stopped - when trying to stream Sky Sports channels.

This is not a problem I encounter on my Moto Z (android 7) phone.

I also don't have this problem on my Nexus 10 tablet.

From what I can see it looks as though this app (and also the TV Anywhere app) believes that the Lenovo Yoga Book is a phone and NOT a tablet as my Virgin Sky Sport devices show two Android phones and not one Android phone and one Andrioid tablet as expected.

The Yoga Book will also not auto-rotate either of these apps and they both always show in portrait mode - Is this the same for you?

Can anyone from Virgin comment on why the Lenovo Yoga Book is seen as a phone and not as a tablet.

Cheers, 620eduke

On our wavelength
Message 25 of 48 (121 Views)

Hi 620eduke

That certainly seems to be the same in every respect except that the TV Anywhere app does have it registered as 'Lenovo Yoga Book'.

The comment that Sky Cinema & Sports (SC&S) app sees it as a phone is interesting because at the very beginning I did have two registrations showing as 'Android Phone' but I thought that my Galaxy S7 Edge had been registered twice, if that is in fact possible. I, therefore, deleted the second registration entry. Also, with the Lenovo I probably tried to register it in the SC&S registration window, not knowing that the method is to do it automatically by choosing a channel to stream. In any event, even if it was seen as a phone I still couldn't stream Sky Sports, getting that stopped message. It does stream on my S7. It also streamed on my Lenovo laptop until I removed in favour of the Yoga Book.

As you say the apps do not rotate, although all the channels I can stream do display in landscape mode.

It will be interesting to see what someone from Virgin has to say about the phone theory as this could be the root of the problem.

I did email to Sky Sports apps and this is the reply, which is probably what I expected.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Sky’s online and mobile services
for Virgin Media customers.

As your query is in relation to a service supplied by Virgin Media,
please contact them to resolve your enquiry or alternatively go to https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-cinema-and-sky-sports-with-virgin-media
for further information and support on the services.

Kindest regards

Bryan24

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 26 of 48 (115 Views)

For TV Anywhere It's all based on screen resolution and pixel density. If this lenovo device has a low count on either of these then it will default to phone and not tablet as the user experience to fit the tablet interface on it will be very poor. The Sky Sports app will probably be the same.
Works for VM. Posts are my own opinion.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 48 (111 Views)

Hi again PaulG
Screen resolution is 1920x1200 (10.1") so should not be an issue. It works fine with TV Anywhere.
Regards Bryan24
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 28 of 48 (107 Views)

[ Edited ]

As far as I know the Sky Sports on Android only has a portrait mode option - apart from when it's playing video.

It's the Sky Cinema app that recognises landscape as part of the UI itself.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 48 (99 Views)

Hi BenMcr
Thanks. If only if that were the only issue!!!
Regards Bryan24
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 30 of 48 (93 Views)

I have tried the Sky Sports app on my Nexus 10 and can confirm that BenMcr is correct in that it is only in portrait mode.

It's still strange that on the Virgin systems the Lenovo Yoga Book is seen as a phone.

I wouldn't really care one way or the other though if I could stream Sky Sports as I can on my other Android devices!!

0 Kudos