Menu
The_Spirit
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere - Unable to Register Device

I'm trying to access TV Anywhere but I am not being  offered the opportunity to register a device.

My setup is Windows 10 Pro (fully up to date), Edge Browser with embedded Flash (reports version 20.0.0.306).  I have cleared the browser cache and in "Advanced Settings" set Block Pop Ups to Off and Use Adobe Flash Player to On.  I have a TIVO (self install) and a SuperHub 2 (also self install), the SuperHub 2 in in Modem Mode connecting to my Netgear Router / Firewall.

I browse to anywhere.virginmedia.com, select a show (supercar megabuild) and Watch Now / Watch Later boxes appear over the program window.  I select "Watch Now" and a sign in requester appears.  I sign in with my VM Primary Account and am returned to the Program window with "Watch Now / Watch Later" showing.  I again select Watch Now and a message appears "please wait while we detect your device" together with a spinning wheel.  Eventually the spinning wheel disappears and the message "Device could not be detected" appears.

Looking at My Profile > Device Settings shows "You have 3 device changes available this month" and under Your Devices it shows "Device could not be detected".

According to the document "Getting started with Virgin TV Anywhere on your computer" a Device Management pop up window should appear but it does not. 

I've spent about an hour on the phone with support with no result so I'm trying this route.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere - Unable to Register Device

Hi The_Spirit, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great to see a new face in the crowd. 

I'm sorry to hear that TV Anywhere isn't working correctly for you and you are having an issue with your device not being detected. 

Usually it doesn't detect if there is an issue with Flash. Are you able to use another browser such as Firefox to see if you get the same issue? 

It may be worth deleting and then re-installing Flash too. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
The_Spirit
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I've done some testing on various systems

Operating Systems: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

Browsers: Edge (Win 10 only), Internet Explorer, Firefox

Where possible Flash was uninstalled then reinstalled

In all cases I did not get the "Device Registration" popup

When I checked My Profiles / Device Settings I got a spinning wheel and then the message:

"Device could not be detected" or "Device detection timed out"

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi The_Spirit

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I appreciate all the checks you have completed so far.

Can you try this for me please. Sign into your TV Anywhere account, this time instead of selecting a channel to stream for the prompt of registration, on the right under My Profile select Device Settings. It will show that no devices are registered, however it should have the option of a register button. Do you get the same issue if you try to register your device this way?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
The_Spirit
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Did as you suggested

1.  Browsed to TV Anywhere
  2. Signed in using my primary account
  3. Selected "My Profile"
  4. Selected "Device Settings"

No device registration pop up

This is result

Device Registration.PNG

Any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi The_Spirit, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this again and apologies that we've still not reached a resolution on this Smiley Sad 

As you've tried this on more than one device and they are all different operating systems and browsers I'm struggling to find why this is an issue. 

It may be down to an account issue but due to the error message it's almost certainly down to the Flash Player. 

I've asked for some support on this and have emailed a colleague who works within the TV Anywhere team to see what comes next. Once I hear anything back I'll come back to you.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
The_Spirit
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I've finally had somr time to investigate my inability to register a device and can report success.

As I mentioned in my original post I run my SuperHub 2 in Modem mode with my own Router / Firewall.

I decided to go back to basics and turned on a high level of logging in the firewall to see exactly what was going on and this revealed that, despite there being an established TLS link between my machine and Virgin Media, the device registration process makes use of a new connection using the unregistered port 8082.

I modified my firewall ruleset to allow the use of this port and I was then able to register a device and get TV Anywhere working on my notebook (both live and stored programs).

I might be worth adding a note to one of the FAQs concerning the use of this non-standard port.

The_Spirit

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi The_Spirit,

Thanks for coming back to me on this and letting us know the steps you took to resolve this. 

My colleague never came back to me unfortunately but am super glad you've found a resolution. 

I will keep an eye and if anyone has the same sort of issue, I shall direct them to your post Smiley Happy

If you have any further questions or issues, come back and let us know.

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Lennie
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have a similar problem.

I have recently called VM support because neither of my devices could access TV Anywhere. They confirmed that the correct devices were set (actually in the Sky settings). They offered no explanation as to why it did not work. They simply removed the two PCs I had registered. I was then able to access SKY from each of them.

However, any attempt to get to the registration page (My profile / Device settings) simply gives me the spinning wheel. There is an FAQ item beneath it which is supposed to explain why I get the spinning wheel, but I cannot select that option due to the spinning wheel!

Please could someone post the text of that FAQ so I can read it.

Anyone any idea if I should open the port 8082 as The_Spirit has done? If so what are the specifications required?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lennie, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are suffering from the same issue as The_Spirit. 

You can find everything there is to know about TV Anywhere here: Introducing TV Anywhere

With regards to instructions for opening ports, I'm not the best person to answer this. Maybe @The_Spirit can pop back and let you know step by step what they did to resolve things Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos