Menu
george57l
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere Sign In issues

I have three iDevices using TV Anywhere ("TVA").  None are used to watch TV, only to control two tivos. (So no need to register devices - despite one VM rep telling me I had to and unable to explain why one device was working with TVA and others had been for years, while not registered!)

Main iPad used daily, permanently logged in. Occasionally (rarely) gets thrown out and have to log back in. Rarely get the "high levels of demand" message but if I do I can usually get back in a few mins later.

Second iPad used less often, but at least weekly.

iPhone almost never used, but app downloaded.

24 hours ago main iPad thrown out and had to log back in. "High demand" message for 24 hours now. Tried with 2nd iPad this PM and it also gets "high demand" message. After being given the runaround for over an hour on the phone (still listening to the muzak, waiting for next conversation) after being told 'known issue' was fixed and then 'known issue but no ETA', I tried the iPhone. Signed in first time (despite 'known issue' apparently!).

Has VM in the past day or so disabled/withdrawn support for TV Anywhere v2.2.4(706833) ?

It seems like it might have done...

For info

- Main iPad running iOS6, TVA v2.2.4(706833) - now just gets "high demand" message

- 2nd iPad (mini) running iOS7, TVA v3.1.4 (I think - it seems impossible to find the version number on this version on this iPad) Was getting high demand message, which was magically fixed when I upgraded from 3.1.3 to 3.1.4. (?)

- iPhone running iOS9, TVA v3.1.4(862954) - just worked first time.

I do not want to use my iPhone for daily control of 2 tivos - I might very rarely when I am out and about, but once in a blue moon, for remote recording. I use the main iPad for this and it never leaves the TV room. (The iPad mini is the 'mobile' iPad so it can be anywhere I've left it - upstairs, in the car, in the workshop, etc.)

The reason I use the old iOS v6 iPad for daily control is that I have 2 tivos one on top of the other, as backup after a dispute with VM a long while back when a network card failed in my single tivo and they refused to repair, depriving me of 80+ hours of material. Now I have my own back-up with 2 machines recording identically. Using the handheld remote is not too effective to control 2 devices (they get out of sync) so I use the old iPad to control these two machines. 

I will not upgrade the iOS on this old iPad - that would likely kill its performance (it would have to go from v6 to v9 as Apple do not allow intermediate/old upgrades). I pretty much never upgrade as 9 times out of 10 an Apple upgrade breaks what didn't need fixing. The devices do what I need so no need to handicap them with operating systems built for much later processors etc.

So, Virgin - your tech rep told me the best way to find out if support had been withdrawn, unannounced, for TVA v2.2.4 was to ask here.  Anyone got definitive answers?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere Sign In issues

Hi george571,

Thank you for your post on the Community Forum. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you and that you are having problems with the TVA app on your main iPad.

There was a recent update for TV Anywhere and this may have caused an issue with an older iOS devices. 

The current TVA app v 2.2.4 is supported with the following Apple devices to stream live TV or manage the TiVo:

• iOS 7 or higher
  • iPad 2 or later
  • iPhone 4 or later
  • iPod touch 5th generation or later
In order to get TV Anywhere working on the main iPad again, an iOS update will be required.

Regards,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
george57l
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, Terri,

So, to be clear, TVA support for v2.2.4 on iOS6 has been withdrawn as of this month. Nice of VM to just do that without announcing it or advising anyone in advance. (I think saying it "may have caused an issue with older iOS devices" is a little disingenuous - the "issue" is it stopped working and won't ever work again! Thus forcing users to update to iOS9  on devices that may not cope with that well, or acquire a new device.)

I'd very much appreciate those responsible for this decision explaining why it was necessary. Or did they really not realise it would cause an "issue" (as you put it)? Why did they need to change anything about a long-standing and apparently stable version of TVA? Anyone on iOS6 at this point is very unlikely to update to iOS9 (the only option, given how Apple refuses to sign earlier versions of iOS once the latest is out) and seeing as it is, apparently, the same version of TVA (v2.2.4) that I was using on iOS6, I am not sure why this decision needed to be made at all.

Could you possibly find out who was responsible for this and seek some more detailed explanation? Thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi george571,

You can access our supported devices list at your convenience as this can change with the updates for the TV Anywhere app.

You can view the updated information here at your convenience: Technical requirements for using Virgin TV Anywhere for Apple and Android Devices This information is provided via our main website Help Pages and is available for all customers to view.

We only support devices and operating systems as recommended by the device manufacturers and decisions to change this service are made according to this. 

I apologise for any inconvenience this causes you.

Again, if you upgrade your device to the supported recommendations made by the manufacturer of your device, you will be able to once again use the TV Anywhere service.

Many thanks,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
george57l
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Terri, are you asking me to believe that Apple (as the device manufacturer) recommended that VM removed support for iOS6? This seems to be the conclusion from your reply, and frankly, I find it very hard (i.e. impossible) to believe, seeing as I have many other apps on my iOS6 device that work perfectly and whose owners show no signs of withdrawing support for perfectly stable apps. 

Your response seems to imply that VM wishes shrug shoulders and 'blame' Apple, and not take any responsibility for its own decisions.

I repeat my previous requests.

By the way, I did not update the version of the TVA  app that was on my iOS6 device, it just stopped working, so although you say "this can change with the updates for the TV Anywhere app" it was nothing to do with an update to the app, as I was still running the same version of the app that was previously working - it just logged me out and refused to let me log back in again.

I suspect that there may have been no actual intention to stop v2.4.4 working on iOS6, but someone did something to the app server at your end - maybe in connection with some later iOS version feature - which inadvertently ended up with iOS6 users being disconnected and unable to reconnect, and now VM is just hiding behind the "Apple say upgrade" line. If my suspicion were correct, in all probability if the relevant people were aware of what has happened they could very easily fix it - there just needs to be a willingness to recognise how this has inconvenienced a few customers and do something about it. Has this issue actually been raised to the relevant people or are your responses just based on what the current customer service message is?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi george57l,

Our list of supported devices and Operating Systems are available here.  

I am not blaming anyone. I have advised you of what devices and operating systems Virgin Media support and attempted to give you an alternative option to solve the issue you are having.

Perhaps someone in the Community could offer further advice on unsupported issues, but I cannot.

Regards,

Terri

0 Kudos
george57l
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Terri - I know what you have done / how you have responded - I did not need reminding of that.  But you have NOT actually answered my questions or addressed the issues I raised. (Especially the paragraph starting: "I'd very much appreciate those responsible ...")

And I did not say that YOU blamed anybody, so I fail to see why you felt the need to deny that you were blaming anyone personally. If it makes you feel better, change the first two words of my previous response from " are you" to "is VirginMedia". However, later in that reply it was clearly VM I was saying appeared to want to shift blame to Apple, not you personally. (So perhaps whoever advised you re your response might review this?)

I do not want or need the standard customer service response ("here is our list of supported devices"). I want to get to the bottom of my specific experience - i.e. to know WHY (and indeed, now I come to think of it, WHEN) that supported list excluded iOS6, seeing as the TVA app was working fine on iOS6 until only a few days ago, and on the same version of the TVA app that had been working on iOS6 for a long time and which had NOT BEEN UPDATED - i.e. I can see no reason why if it was working, it should suddenly have stopped working - and if this was, in fact, a deliberate act at that time by VM (which I doubt at this point) WHY it was not announced and explained better. (The assorted range of provably wrong answers I got from the customer service / technical support people on the phone clearly demonstrated nobody had any clue there was an issue, or even what questions to ask, which hardly inspired confidence and may help explain why I wish to go beyond the standard customer service script.)

As I said, I suspect it was not deliberate act and thus could easily be fixed if there were a will to do so. Hence my request for you to advise whether the relevant people were even aware of this. Instead of which you repeat the unhelpful simple customer service line. Forgive me, I assumed that from the way you refer to "our" list of devices that you actually worked for VM. I'd assumed someone who actually worked for VM would be able to pursue my request and clarify the issue (as per my first reply to you yesterday) internally within the company on my behalf. Silly me. Perhaps I'll have to think about whether it is worth just printing all this out instead and writing to the usual escalation channel, as yet another formal complaint.

0 Kudos
george57l
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

PS And actually the single key, simple question that goes to the heart of this and which you failed to address was: "Could you possibly find out who was responsible for this and seek some more detailed explanation?" I guess I must assume the answer is "no". Whether that is due to capability (the access you have within VM or the limits of your remit within this Forum) or to willingness (could you, or anyone you may have contacted be bothered engaging further on this topic in greater detail) I will have to make my own guess at.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm pretty sure iOS 6 hasn't been officially supported by TV Anywhere since September 2014, when the app was updated to work with iOS 8. At that point the minimum supported specifications were updated to require at least iOS 7 as the minimum version of iOS on an Apple device.

I'm not sure why your iOS 6 app has now stopped working. However, as iOS 6 has been unsupported for almost 18 months I wouldn't think it's possible for a fault issue to be raised for the unsupported app.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
george57l
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr

Thanks for your contribution. At least that puts a tentative time-frame on this, and makes it even weirder that it should have been working fine, including periodic successful re-sign-ins, until a few days ago, and just as weird that it should have suddenly stopped working. ('Working' and 'unsupported' are often not aligned in the software world - I should know, I work in it!)

And I'm realistic - I was not trying to raise a fault issue, just get some explanation, but Terri seemed unable/unwilling to consult the relevant people (or, if consulted, they seemed unwilling to consider it) and everything reverted to the singularly unhelpful standard customer service script.

Seeing as v2.2.4 IS still supported it would be most helpful to know why it could work on iOS6 after iOS7 became the minimum recommended level, and why it stopped working. Frankly, I suspect it was all inadvertent, and can actually see no rational reason why iOS6 support needed to be withdrawn. Even if new functionality may have been limited, my use case was a simple one (no watching TV, just using it to control 2 tivos) and a stable v2.2.4 could have carried on forever. Plenty of other app providers still support stable versions of their apps way back to iOS4 (I also have an iPod Touch that cannot go beyond iOS4, but many apps still work perfectly on it!)

Sigh.

;-)

0 Kudos