Menu
john_f_
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere + Linux

There have been posts about this in the past, but they are slightly dated now. Basically, why are VM not supporting Linux users with TV Anywhere?

I believe this is down to Flash player, and VM enforcing versions later than the latest version available for Linux users. HTML5 has been around a while now, it would be in everyone's interest if that were used, is this not on the cards? It's make for a far better experience for everyone. The TV Anywhere app works on Android, which is a Linux based operating system, what is so different there that you can't take the same approach for a desktop operating system. Emulating an Android phone on my PC to access TV Anywhere is just daft.

I get the "the content owners won't let us" response a lot from VM. I got the same response when I asked why they were preventing me streaming TV anywhere via my mobile network rather than via WiFi (ridiculous). The content owners don't seem to have an issue with it elsewhere, have VM actually asked the content owners? What is it VM are doing that is causing the content owners not to trust them when they happily trust others? Maybe VM could let us know specifically which content owners have an issue with this because I'm slightly perplexed as to why they would intentionally choose to limit distribution of their content. I would suggest that there is a piece VM need to do here which is educating content owners, because whether I stream over my 4G connection or my home WiFi it make exactly zero difference to the content owner.

I'd be interested to hear any 2017 thoughts from Virgin Media on this topic

Thanks

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere + Linux

My understanding is that Flash delivers the necessary security that HTML5 couldn't. I don't know enough about it to know if that is still the case. But let's not forget that TV Anywhere has never worked properly, and beyond a bit of lip service here, nothing has improved. So while other providers evolve and improve their streaming services, Virgin Media customers just have to put up or shut up.

Of course you are quite right about 3G/4G & the content owners. I suspect that VM took a decision a long time ago that they didn't want to be bogged down with fault reports that were due to a data connection that wasn't fast enough (especially when it is quite capable of not working over a rock-solid WiFi connection without mobile data speeds muddying the waters). There's some merit to that argument, well there was many years ago when the service launched. But many have 4G mobile devices now, because for most people, technology evolves.

Virgin Media as always, being the exception to that rule.

0 Kudos
john_f_
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Crockret wrote:

I suspect that VM took a decision a long time ago that they didn't want to be bogged down with fault reports that were due to a data connection that wasn't fast enough

A very fair point, in fact I do recall a few years back speaking with someone who worked for BlinkBox and their stance was they were not going to permit streaming over 3/4G as people with terrible connections would blame them for the poor quality.

That said i did take a peek at some reviews in the Android Play store and there was an awful lot of grumbling about no 3/4G streaming and a reply to one of them from VM saying that streaming over a mobile network is something they are planning to bring in the future. Although, as anyone who has been waiting for their internet speed boost from VM knows VMs roadmaps are measured in years and decades, but at least a slightly positive note the TV anywhere front!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi john_f_,

Just to answer your question about TV Anywhere and Linux, we don't currently have any news or updates. I'll feed it back to the team again and we'll let you know as soon as there's any change.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos