Menu
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere Device Limit

In these modern times with multiple household members having multiple mobile devices, is Virgin Media considering lifting the restriction on the number of registered devices for TV Anywhere? The current limit of two devices for remote viewing with TV Anywhere is extremely restrictive and needs to be increased significantly or removed altogether.

If there is some technical or copyright reason for only allowing two devices to be active simultaneously then this should not affect the number of devices that can be registered for use with the service. We are a two person household but both of us have a mobile phone, tablet and laptop which we would like to be able to use with the TV Anywhere service. Larger households, for example those with children, will have a greater requirement for registering such devices.

Even raising the limit to eight devices would be a vast improvement but removing any restriction would be better.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Ian09
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV Anywhere Device Limit

I find this especially frustrating due to the fact that i pay for 2 additional multi room boxes effectively paying for 3 licences anyway and still I'm only aloud 2 registered devices. Simply not enough for a family in this day and age.

All Replies
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I see your point, and would also like to be able to use more devices, but I can't see it happening.  

If everyone got 8 devices, but didn't actually need them all, they could give free access to their family & friends - they'll effectively get cable TV for nothing - a potential revenue-killer for VM.

I'd be all for even paying extra for more devices though, and perhaps this is the way forward, but TV Anywhere would need to actually work how it is supposed to before that was ever a viable option.

Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Currently, the majority of TV Anywhere services are only available on the same network as the TiVo box is connected to although selected channels can be viewed via the internet.

Virgin Media could still restrict the number of simultaneous devices in use but the number of registered devices could be higher or limitless giving greater choice.

Félim
0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Currently, the majority of TV Anywhere services are only available on the same network as the TiVo box is connected to.

Eh? Like what?

0 Kudos
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK, I didn't phrase that very well and I may have overstated the point. Most viewing options, for example watching recorded programmes and most TV channels, are currently designed to be available within the household only with just some channels accessible over the internet.

Félim
0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Nope. You can't watch recordings on anything but the TiVo. And the range of streamable channels is the same regardless of whether you are at home or away.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Felim_Doyle wrote:

OK, I didn't phrase that very well and I may have overstated the point. Most viewing options, for example watching recorded programmes and most TV channels, are currently designed to be available within the household only with just some channels accessible over the internet.

That statement makes me wonder if you actually know anything about TiVo and TV Anywhere.

You cannot watch recordings from My Shows via TV Anywhere.

You can stream the same channels at Home and Away.

Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK, so apparently TV Anywhere is even less useful than I thought!

Anyway, the number of registered devices is far too restrictive and needs to be increased.

Félim
0 Kudos
bjhoward
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's a shame that nobody from Virgin thought it appropriate to comment and explain this limit........I find it very restrictive but would also be willing to pay a fair premium to have more family devices registered (perhaps with a concurrent use limit instead).

0 Kudos
Ian09
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I find this especially frustrating due to the fact that i pay for 2 additional multi room boxes effectively paying for 3 licences anyway and still I'm only aloud 2 registered devices. Simply not enough for a family in this day and age.