Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 1 of 234
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere Buffering Issues

Hi all, 

Thanks for your patience whilst we look into this. 

We are looking at getting an fault ticket raised about this but are needing some specific information to be able to do this. 

Can you please reply with the Following:

What channel?
What time and date?
What is happening? (buffering, repeating, not streaming at all)
What Device are you using?
Are you using the App or Online version?
If Online, What browser and version are you using?
WiFi or Direct Ethernet cable?

If this is happening at all times or all channels, please give the latest date and time and latest channel. 

If you've already provided the above information then just ignore this. 

Thanks,
Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
DJDeanT
Tuning in
Message 2 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere Buffering Issues

Hi,

I can give you an example, however considering that there are problems NATIONWIDE effecting different channels it would make a lot more sense for the technicians that are fixing the faults simply watch all the streaming channels for 10 minutes per channel and fix the ones having the problem.

If a channel is buffering, then the problem could be that Virgin isn't streaming the correct bitrate that Akamai stream is expecting, which could cause the buffer.  Or, there could be a problem with that particular Akamai stream.

However, if there is no buffer problem and the channel jumps and skips forward and backwards (like the example I can give) then the problem is more than likely to be at Virgin, because Akamai just streams whatever comes in.

Chanel: Syfy

Time and Date: All The Time

What is happening:  Approx 20 seconds and then a repeat of about 5 seconds again, before it jumps 5 seconds ahead.

What device are you using:  This happens on any device for this channel

WiFi or Direct:  This happens on any connection to the internet.

This is just my example, but as I said, it would be best from someone at Virgin to simply take a look at all the channels and make a detailed report as appropriate.

Personally, I am surprised that Virgin relies on feedback from customers about this, and doesn't test it themselves.  What would happen if this effected channels nationwide on the cable TV service itself?  We would all hope that Virgin would be on top of this before anyone reports a fault at all:- the same should apply to TV Anywhere.

nickh
Superfast
Message 3 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Kath,

What channel?   BT Sport 1
What time and date?  Any live Premier League match
What is happening? (buffering, repeating, not streaming at all)   Buffering
What Device are you using?  MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.1
WiFi or Direct Ethernet cable?  Buffering occurs irrespective of WIFI or ethernet connection

Regards,

Nick
0 Kudos
allowens
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Hi

this has been happening for me for last two weeks.

is happening now on Friday 23rd from 11am to 13:40

• All channels buffer  except sky channels that use the sky streaming interface
  • all times of day an night
  • it keeps repeating,  it have changed the buffer settings from 0kb up to unlimited  and repeating continues every 20 - 30 seconds.
  • this happens on both by PC's windows 8.1 and windows 7 on all channels except sky sports / movies  - iPad seems a lot better with limited buffer mainly on itv and scfi channels
  • both wireless and directly connected show the same issue , still get the same repeating,  I have  reset router and adjusted Wi-Fi settings to best performance and compatibility, also change channels to ensure no other channel interference however , still repeating

not matter what buffering settings, it still seems to want to only buffer after 10kb , this then causes the repeat, as it then appear to go back to the start of the buffer file, then plays for around 10 seconds or the buffer sile, then goes back, its as if the program is having issue with  processing and updating the buffer file, and after each write and filling the file it stops and replays the buffer, then writes new buffer and when full instead of over writing it then goes back plays the buffer, then clears it until its full, seems to be an issue on the way to control fill , and over right the buffer file , this also appears to be why the IOS app is much better and that is using a totally different method of buffering and file control.

thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I've removed several of the posts from this thread.  Please don't continue to make off-topic posts in this thread, as it doesn't help solve the issue. If you want to continue a discussion, please either take it to Private Messages or discuss in our Chatter forum. Please also note that further off-topic posting may result in individual warnings, review the Forum Guidelines for more information.

Thanks

Elaine_W

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
allowens
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 234
Flag for a moderator

HI

further to my response above on the 18th Jan

Over the weekend Buffering/ repeating was happening over the weekend, worst effected were SCFI and ITV again,

today.26/01/2015

ITV , ITV 3  ITV 4, SC-FI ,  were all unwatchable on PC have been trying them throughout the day from 9 am to 15;15 and  the buffering / repeat is very bad

however Horror - live is  streaming no issue at present  no buffer or repeating, however if I then go back to itv4 it buffer and repeats.  so it seems it is more channel related than a general issue with the player or the end customer PC.

Thanks

Rick

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 234
Flag for a moderator

I have essentially thrown in the towel with TVA but there was something I wanted to watch tonight.

Discovery Science, right now (and since 8.45pm tonight when I clicked in) is skipping back & forth like crazy.

IE11

Win 7

A pointless exercise, other than to remind me how pony TVA is.  Just plugged in an Ethernet cable. Made no difference whatsoever.

0 Kudos
Prodappymoo
Tuning in
Message 8 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Hiya, not sure if this will help you at the min but 08/01/2015 8pm - 10pm more4 grand designs was very difficult to watch due to every 15/30 seconds it pixelated then repeated the last 2 seconds of the program like lag. iPad Air via wifi. 

No buffering issues since this date for me on IPad Air however can't connect tonight 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 9 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Some 4 hours later, and Discovery Science is still unwatchable, skipping back & forth constantly.

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 10 of 234
Flag for a moderator

And still, Discovery Science remains unwatchable.  Repeat, skip, repeat ad infinitum.

Win7 laptop, IE 11

0 Kudos