Menu
MaisonClarke
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TV Anytime - Device Could Not be Detected

Dear VM,

Please tell me how to get TV Anytime working correctly.  There is so much poor and contradictory advice on these forum pages going back at least a year, it seems that by now VM should have a trouble-shooting page on their web-site with all the latest fixes and other up-to-date information.

I am using a Surface Pro 3 laptop with Edge and Firefox, neither of which let me watch TV. The suggestion that I should delete the device and re-register it is so far out, it is hardly believable that anybody has actually tried to do it. Under My Profile > Device Settings, how is it possible to select the device to delete it, when it doesn't show as it cannot be detected?

MaisonClarke

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anytime - Device Could Not be Detected

Hi MaisonClarke, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. It's great to have you involved. 

This error can show up for a number of reasons. Sometimes with devices that have already been registered and other times on new devices.  This would be why there is so many different things we ask.

The reason you are having an issue getting your device detected is due to the fact it doubles up as a laptop or tablet. This device isn't supported for use with TV Anywhere so we can only offer basic diagnostics. 

Which way are you trying to register the device? When in laptop or tablet mode? Trying the opposite way does this get you any further? 

Let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MaisonClarke
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Kathy_F,

Thank you for your response, although I fail to see the logic of your technicians.  There is no reason whatsoever for VM to randomly decide that they don't support a laptop that has a detachable keyboard, particularly when it is clear that they do support desktop PCs, laptops and tablets.  The Surface Pro runs on Windows, just as most other devices do, so it really should make no difference.

So that I can fully understand what the problems are (and maybe address the issues myself), can you please ask your technicians to provide a full and detailed technical response to what it is that they believe stops VM from supporting the Surface Pro.

Regards,

MaisonClarke

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi MaisonClarke, 

The reason it's not supported is because we have different licences in place for PC / Laptop devices and Mobile / Tablet devices. For PC and Laptops you are able to use the online version of TV Anywhere. For Mobiles and Tablets, you have to use the app as the online versions won't work. 

As yours doubles up as both it means we are only able to provide one way of connecting which as it stands has to be the App version (Due to the device being primarily a tablet)

We don't have a Windows app for TV Anywhere. Only an iOS and Android app therefore you wont be able to use TV Anywhere on your current device. 

There's nothing technical about it really. Until there is a Windows app for TV Anywhere you won't be able to use this device. 

Apologies again for any inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MaisonClarke
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F,

Firstly, VM are completely wrong, as the Surface Pro 3 is a device that operates on a full version of Windows, just like any other laptop or PC. In any case, I always use mine with a keyboard, so it is no different from any other laptop. 

When you say that the online version "won't work", do you mean that the VM technicians can't get it to work for some obscure reason, or that they have deliberately made it not work because some lawyer with no technical understanding has decided that this should be so. If the latter reason is true, then please quote the exact words in the licence that prevents VM from allowing me to watch TVAnywhere on my laptop.

A legal argument is utterly ridiculous! It just like the BBC saying that my TV licence is not valid, because I switch on my TV with a remote control, rather than with a manual switch. Incidentally, BBC iPlayer and the ITV equivalent work perfectly fine on my Surface Pro, so they appear not to be subject to these same restrictions. Please explain the exact legal reasons why VM are bound by such law, whereas the BBC and ITV are not.

Also, you say "until there is a Windows app", which suggests at some time there might be.  Please tell me how long I will have to wait for an app that can run on devices using the World's most popular operating system.  Of course, you are now contradicting yourself, because this would mean that I could then watch TVAnywhere on a Surface Pro, something that your lawyers seem to believe should not be allowed!

MaisonClarke

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft decide the surface is a primary a tablet. And as the Content owners set the rules tablets can only run with the app.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/devices/surface-pro-4?&SEMID=1&WT.srch=1&ocid=_SEM_GOO___en-...

Subheading from microsoft...
"The tablet that can replace your laptop."
0 Kudos
MaisonClarke
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Apcyberax,

Thanks for your response.

Whilst I note your comments on the Surface Pro 4, I don't believe that my Surface Pro 3 was being advertised that way when I bought it.  However, for the sake of progress on the real matter in question, I think we can agree that at present nobody can watch TVAnywhere on any version of the Surface Pro.

So why is that, then? I'm not going to believe that dozens of channels ganged-up on Surface Pro owners, to unanimously decide that they couldn't watch TV on their devices. The BBC don't mind, and neither does ITV, so why did other channels decide to set this rule?  If the apps had to be purchased, then perhaps I could understand, but that is not the case. What is the real reason behind this ridiculous decision?

I really can't understand why anybody would want to spend their time creating TV programmes, only to then make every effort to block people from watching them.

Why can't we watch the channels that don't have a problem with the type of device being used. Or how about VM providing an app for Windows devices?

MaisonClarke

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

the pro 3 was advertised teh same way by microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/devices/surface-pro-3

and i think its down to what the broadcasters want in the same way they don't allow the app to run on rooted devices it likely the free someone can install there own code to download shows with no DRM

0 Kudos
MaisonClarke
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Apcyberax,

Even if I concede that the Surface Pro is a tablet (although I always use mine with its keyboard), it doesn't change the fact that VM are dictating that some tablet owners are being allowed to watch TVAnywhere on their devices, and others are not.  VM should produce a Windows app.

As I have already said, major broadcasters (e.g. BBC and ITV) allow TV to be watched on any device, whereas some minor broadcasters seem to be very selective, and without any reasons that are obvious to most people.  It would be helpful if we could have a full and detailed explanation of why they require VM to impose their bizarre rules.  Is there a security risk, or does it have something to do with video piracy?  If so, why do they believe that Windows tablets are more prone to these issues than those on Android or iOS?

MaisonClarke

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

andorid and ios are set OS there is no way to change what it can do.
Windows you can pretty much run what you like how you like.

They also blocking on rooted IOS and android devices
0 Kudos