Menu
SJM2012
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports - apologies this item has been interrupted due to an error

I have not been able to watch Sky Sports from their website since either one of these two things caused a problem:

1. Windows 10 update

2. Installed a USB graphics card on my laptop

I have deleted the old laptop device and re registered from the Virgin website and i can stream no problem from there.

I then tried to stream from the Sky Sports website but did not get any "device registration" prompt.

However, looking at the registered devices in "my profile" - sky cinema and sky sports, i can see it has been registered again, along with the original android phone.

I now get this message on the Sky Sports website:

"apologies this item has been interrupted due to an error. please refresh your page and try again later"

I have re installed silverlight but the problem remains.

Any help on this?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports - apologies this item has been interrupted due to an error

it is possible that USB use is blocked as an anti-piracy "feature". A simple test is to remove the USB device and see it you can then stream OK to the laptop via its onboard graphics. and you may get more info via the sky forums, as its' a sky sports issue.  

they are fiercely, ( yet ineffectually) protective of their streams, to the point where it's often easier and better quality to just watch a pirate stream rather than bang your head against several walls trying to get a legit stream to work.

can you stream other ( non sky) channels OK ?

0 Kudos
SJM2012
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.

Yes, that is exactly what is causing the error!

I disabled the USB graphics card in display settings and i could then play the sky sports stream.

On re enabling the card i get the error message again.

I doubt there is a solution to this unless you can suggest something?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

there is no technical solution if sky are blocking use of USB ( like they block use of HDMi and screen mirroring in the tablet versions).

onboard graphics should be fine for streaming  video though, your USB graphics is probably only needed for gaming so just remove it to watch sky sport ?

Or you can debate with yourself, and any interested others,  the ethics of using a high quality pirate stream instead, given that you have paid for your streaming rights already Smiley Happy. I  did that for BT sport football when my paid-for access to BT sport via the TV anywhere app was worse than useless.

i will not post links, but google is your friend.

It is strongly advised that you use a good ad blocker and real time anti-virus with "other sources" and resist all invitations to "install" or "upgrade" within flash links

flash links are best avoided anyway. Google acestream for HD quality.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

Or you can debate with yourself, and any interested others,  the ethics of using a high quality pirate stream instead, given that you have paid for your streaming rights already Smiley Happy. I  did that for BT sport football when my paid-for access to BT sport via the TV anywhere app was worse than useless. 

Ethics, eh!  I used to have similar with downloading audio files of all the LPs I had, but nowadays with Spotify/Amazon I don't.   I was on the ethical edge the other week with the Champions League but fortunately BT Sport cranked into life thanks to an extra device change that came in a few hours before the game (thanks to customer services for that).  On the whole Sky Sports and BT Sport work well enough for me to not have to face such dilemas.

Interesting about the HDMI block.  It may explain why Sky Go and Sky Cinema are on Amazon Appstore, buy Sky Sports isn't.  The first generation Fire tablets have a hdmi port which has allowed me to watch all sorts on TV when I have been working away.   

0 Kudos
SJM2012
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My laptop graphics cards dictate that i can only connect to 2 monitors/tv's if i disable the laptop display.

I specifically bought the USB graphics card to enable me to connect to a third tv and stream on there too, and generally Sky Sports.

I have only just re subscribed to Virgin and Sky tv as i was tired of messing around with streams, and i include Kodi too.

Thanks for all the help though Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SJM2012 wrote:

I have only just re subscribed to Virgin and Sky tv as i was tired of messing around with streams, and i include Kodi too. 

I was on the verge of a season of Champions Leage on BT Sport via Kodi or whatever but Virgin made me an offer of 6 months Full House for £6/month which I couldn't refuse.  Six months conveniently takes me just beyond the second leg of the last 16 at which point my interest will abruprtly end.  Well it has done for the last six years.    

There will be enough coverage of the quarter finals onwards on BT Showcase.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yes, the HDMi block means that even if you side load apps to fire TV or Fire TV stick, they are blocked. Only one of the Sky apps ( maybe Sky go) works with chrome cast, but Sky , like virgin, have a ridiculous 2 devices block to contend with also. I also tested TVa, but not sky, in my smart TV browser, but got browser not supported. they don't make it easy to watch legally do they ?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ps, I am curious to know also why TVa can only stream BT sport in SD, Kodi can stream it to the same devices in glorious HD ( and can stream it perfectly, no glitches, no buffering... )  . it's clearly technically feasible as the Kodi test demonstrates, so why not make it legal

I don't have a sky subscription, but is the sky sports app SD or HD ?. I know that all live stuff on NOW TV is streamed only in SD

I recently borrowed my Son's Sky Go account for a tablet test &I think that was all in SD, with annoying adverts. he only has the basic channels so I did not get to test any sport

0 Kudos