Menu
citlecevoli
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports - Google Chrome

Few months ago I managed to resolve the problem of watching Sky Sports on my laptop through Google Chrome given I was having problems with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Silverlight!

Recently went to watch Sky Sports on Google Chrome only to be greeted with a message that Chrome was no longer being used to support this??????

Now I am back to square one as I still can't resolve the IE/Silverlight issue and trying Firefox doesn't work either!

Why have VM done this and can this be resolved (again) for me?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky Sports - Google Chrome

Hi citlecevoli

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Apologies that you are still experiencing issues with Silverlight through Internet Explorer. I appreciate that you have already done everything possible to try get it working, and possibly even done it twice. Such as re-installing the program, making sure IE is up to date and Adobe Flash Player.

When you check the cookies make sure they are set to Always and not Allow as this can cause issues. Out of curiosity have you tried Firefox to see if that gives the same error?

I want to be able to get this working for you and I know this is frustrating.

Let me know how it goes

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos

All Replies
KingfisherUK
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Firstly, the Sky Movies & Sports sites are run by Sky, so are not under Virgin's control.

Secondly, Chrome is no longer supported by Virgin TV Anywhere or Sky's online services due to Google's decision to remove support for NPAPI plugins. These include Silverlight (used by Sky) and Adobe Flash (used by Virgin), so this was beyond their control and cannot be changed.

Looking at Sky's forums, there does appear to be an issue at the moment which appears worse with Firefox, but is affecting IE as well. Might be worth checking there for updates.

0 Kudos
spike1968
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As always VM blame sky and take no responsibility for this issue, they have chosen not to develop their tv anywhere service.

The issues with IE/silverlight are well documented as well as the security issues with both, as with the issue with firefox not being stable on some pc environments.

64% of the worlds population use chrome, so they must be doing something right. 

VM and sky sports have both taken the viewpoint not to update their players.... why... no one knows...

0 Kudos
citlecevoli
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So in essence I am unable to use this service any more given these difficulties but will have to continue paying for them?

Anyone got any solutions as opposed to offering technical explanations?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi citlecevoli 

Apologies for any inconvenience you have experienced trying to stream TV anywhere or the Sky channels available using the Google Chrome browser.

Due to recent changes with Google Chrome it is now unsupported with these services. You can check the technical requirements list here for up to date information on what can be used.

Thanks 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
citlecevoli
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And so the cycle continues.....

I have not been able to use IE due to Microsoft Silverlight error which effectively brings me back to my first post and the point I was at around 6 months ago which I resolved via Google Chrome but now this has been removed!!!

Any tips on resolving the Silverlight problem given I have installed the most recent version yet still get a notice advising me to update when try to watch Sky Sports channels?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi citlecevoli

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Apologies that you are still experiencing issues with Silverlight through Internet Explorer. I appreciate that you have already done everything possible to try get it working, and possibly even done it twice. Such as re-installing the program, making sure IE is up to date and Adobe Flash Player.

When you check the cookies make sure they are set to Always and not Allow as this can cause issues. Out of curiosity have you tried Firefox to see if that gives the same error?

I want to be able to get this working for you and I know this is frustrating.

Let me know how it goes

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
citlecevoli
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Sam, problem now resolved - back to being a happy customer :-)
0 Kudos