Menu
terntern
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports/Cinema App Not Working - Mac

Using a MacBook Pro, updated to latest operating system. Using firefox and safari updated to the latest versions. 

There is an open device slot on the sky sports and cinema registration page. 

When I click on a link on the sky sports website after logging in the app opens telling me to go to the website. It never opens the video stream. This also happens with the sky cinema app. I have tried reinstalling the app, all browsers. 

Any solution to this problem would be greatly received. 

0 Kudos
Jenni4
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports/Cinema App Not Working - Mac

I also have a problem with the Sky Cinema app on my Macbook air using Safari. The problem sounds slightly different in that it asks if I want to open the app (which I have deleted and re-installed a couple of times for good measure) and when I click yes it opens, asks for a PIN which I duly enter (although i can't say I remember setting one up it doesn't seem to be a problem as it then starts the movie). The problem is I have sound and no picture. I can hear the films (tried a few different ones) but there is just a black screen. I've tried moving to a later point in the movies and I can still hear the sound but no picture.

I have tried phoning for technical assistance from VM but it took nearly an hour for the guy, who clearly had no idea what the problem was, to escalate it to Tier 2. I was pretty fed up by then and needed to do something else. I haven't had the enthusiasm to phone back for the Tier 2 assistance yet so I hope someone here has an idea.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi terntern,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with viewing Sky Sports and Sky Cinema via the TV Anywhere service. Has this been resolved for you?

If you are still having a problem with this, please let me know. I'll need to take more information from you in order to investigate this problem. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jenni4,

Thanks for posting on the Forum. I'm sorry that you're having a problem with your TV Anywhere service.

Please try going to the Sky Cinema website to view programming. Please click the link to our online Help pages: Watching Sky Cinema and Sky Sports on your computer for further instructions on this.

Please let us know how this goes for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Jenni4
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri_P

So of course I was starting on the Sky Cinema website, which then said that I had to install the Sky Cinema App. Which I have then done and then deleted and re-installed and the same problem occuring. I know you have to start on the website and make sure you are logged in as a Virgin Media Customer to be able to watch Sky Cinema. I am finding a movie, any movie just to see if it will work, clicking the little play button above the movie on the website and then asks if you want to launch the app and then the app opens but no sound, only picture.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jenni4, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this Smiley Sad

Can you please let me know what browser you are using?

Make sure it is a supported version:

Mozilla Firefox 48.0 and above

Apple Safari 9.0 and above

Google Chrome 53.0 and above

Try uninstalling and re-downloading the player to see if this helps. 

Come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jenni4
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Safari 10.0.2

And yes as I said I have tried removing and re-installing

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jennie4, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this Smiley Happy

After further investigation it looks as though this is a known issue. 

Can you double check if you have a dual graphics card. If so you'll need to turn off ‘Dynamic Switching’ found in > System Preferences > Energy Saver.

If you are still having an issue then you can revert to the Silverlight player. Follow the below steps to do this Smiley Happy

1.         Open up Finder

2.         Type Sky Go into the search field in the top left and make sure ‘This Mac’ is selected

3.         Find the ‘Sky Go Player’ in the search results and drag it to the trash. Or right click and ‘Move to Trash’.

4.         If the ‘Macintosh HD’ is showing on the desktop then skip to step 7

5.         Click on Finder at the top of the Mac and select ‘Preferences’

6.         Select the ‘General Tab’ and make sure ‘Hard Disk’ is selected to be shown on the desktop

7.         Open ‘Macintosh HD’ and go through the following: Users > User Profile/Name > Library

8.         Find the folder titled ‘Cisco’ and move it to the trash.

9.         Empty the trash, or at least empty it of Cisco folder and the Sky Go Player

10.      Open up your web browser and go to “microsoft.com/getsilverlight” and click ‘Install’. Open up the installation file (shows as dmg or compressed file) and follow the install wizard.

11.      Clear the browser cookies stored (If Safari is open then select ‘Safari’ at the top of the Mac > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data > Remove All > Remove Now)

12.      Navigate to “go.sky.com”. Sign in and then try and play some content.

13.      You may need to remove the already registered Mac from your device list. Found in ‘Manage Devices’ under ‘Settings’ when signed in on go.sky.com.

14.      You should now be able to play content successfully.

Come back and let me know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jenni4
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't work

I'm trying to use Sky Cinema app (Sky Go appears to be just for Sky customers)

Substituting Sky Cinema for Sky go in your instructions didn't help

When I got to step 12 there is no place to log in as VM customer at go.sky.com. If you go in through TV anywhere it routes you just to the Sky website and a page where you can sign in as VM customer. So I tried following going in that way and it just told me to install the Sky Cinema app again. I tried cancelling and selecting "do not show again" and clicking through again and it just opened a new web page with an error message telling me that MacOS can't recognise web addresses starting with "SkyCinema"

Yours in utter frustration

0 Kudos
Jenni4
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

forgot to mention, no dual graphics card (macbook air)
0 Kudos