Menu
scharah
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports App burning up macbook

anyone else getting this? my macbook is on fire, fan is working over time and the battery runs down super fast - doesn't sound at all healthy! 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports App burning up macbook

Hi scharah, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with your Macbook over heating. 

I haven't heard of this and checking in the Sky Community, I'm not seeing any other complaints to this effect either Smiley Sad 

Do you have anything else running at the same time as this app?

Are you using the Macbook on top of a cushion or anything like that? 

When you're not using the app, do you get the same issue?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
scharah
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kathy, 

thanks for your reply. 

It may well be my my machine if no one else is experiencing it - although I'm surprised to hear this. No other programme/app seems to have this affect on my macbook, and it's happening even when the laptop is placed on a cold, granite work top so it's not a pillow/cushion burning it up. 

The battery life decreases at a very rapid rate as well when using it; I've closed every other app running to see if it makes a difference but no luck. The battery decreases about 1% per minute on average when using the app. This is with as much battery preservation in place as I can manage, the screen brightness is turned right down etc. 

Is there any way to go back to simply using the website or is the app now the only option available to Virgin Media customers watching Sky Sports on TV Anywhere? 

thanks, 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi scharah, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

The change has been made through Sky so it may be worth popping over to them to see if you can get any response from them or their Super users. 

In terms of using Silverlight again, there is a work around in place for now although I'm not sure how long it will work for. 

To do this follow these steps:

1.         Open up Finder

2.         Type Sky Go into the search field in the top left and make sure ‘This Mac’ is selected

3.         Find the ‘Sky Go Player’ in the search results and drag it to the trash. Or right click and ‘Move to Trash’.

4.         If the ‘Macintosh HD’ is showing on the desktop then skip to step 7

5.         Click on Finder at the top of the Mac and select ‘Preferences’

6.         Select the ‘General Tab’ and make sure ‘Hard Disk’ is selected to be shown on the desktop

7.         Open ‘Macintosh HD’ and go through the following: Users > User Profile/Name > Library

8.         Find the folder titled ‘Cisco’ and move it to the trash.

9.         Empty the trash, or at least empty it of Cisco folder and the Sky Go Player

10.      Open up your web browser and go to “microsoft.com/getsilverlight” and click ‘Install’. Open up the installation file (shows as dmg or compressed file) and follow the install wizard.

11.      Clear the browser cookies stored (If Safari is open then select ‘Safari’ at the top of the Mac > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data > Remove All > Remove Now)

12.      Navigate to “go.sky.com”. Sign in and then try and play some content.

13.      You may need to remove the already registered Mac from your device list. Found in ‘Manage Devices’ under ‘Settings’ when signed in on go.sky.com.

14.      You should now be able to play content successfully.

Come back and let me know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It may be that the cooler fan on the MacBook has restrictedairflow. Normally this is a result of laying it on the bed to watch, the fan sucks up bits of fibre and over time the airflow is reduced and when working hard gets hot.....
0 Kudos
neilbarry
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the exact same issue . My late 2016 mbp sunning Sierra is burning through my battery while using the sky sports desktop app. No other player does the same 

0 Kudos
neilbarry
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

its happening tom me

0 Kudos
NatR
Just joined
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator