Menu
Lorian
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports App - Wrong aspect for live channels

I have been given Sky Sports SD free for 6 weeks (thanks Virgin). I tried accessing the channels on TV Anywhere and was directed to the Sky Sports App.  I managed to get my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet registered and was able to access the live channels.  My tablet has a 9.7" 4:3 screen and all the live Sky Sports channels displayed the 16:9 widescreen picture squashed up in the 4:3 screen. Other recorded content on the app displayed in the normal 16:9 format with black bars top and bottom.

I uninstalled the app and went through the process again but got the same result. I emailed Sky and got a quick response with a not very helpful reply saying the app adjusts automatically to the screen size. I've replied to that email to see if it's a problem with just me or an issue with the Samsung or tablets in general with 4:3 displays and whether they have any intention of putting it right in any future updates to the app. I doubt that I'll get anywhere but you never know.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or if it is just me.  I really can't bear watching something in the wrong aspect. The idea of the free 6 week trial is to try it out and this would put me off (plus having to pay an extra £7 for HD - in this day and age HD should be standard in my opinion).

0 Kudos
AndyKnott
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports App - Wrong aspect for live channels

I have exactly the same problem, except with an 8" Galaxy Tab S2. I contacted Sky just over a year ago and got the following reply:

The Sky Sports Mobile application is optimised to run on mobile handsets only. If you choose to use the services on a tablet then this may result in poor picture quality due to the screen resolution being stretched. I hope this information has been a help to you, however if you choose to use the service on a tablet then we are unable to provide any technical assistance.

So, not much help. Hopefully they'll sort it out, but it doesn't seem likely.

Andy

0 Kudos
Lorian
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports App - Wrong aspect for live channels

Thanks for the reply.  At least I know it's not a problem with the tablet.  I did tell them that every other app that shows live TV that I've got(BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, ALL4, Virgin TV Anywhere, Panasonic TV Anywhere, TV Player) displays in the correct aspect.  The only one that doesn't is Sky Sports.  Just got the usual "we'll pass it on" reply.  You would think Sky would want to produce something that plays on all devices.

0 Kudos