Menu
golfinstar
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sky Problems via TV Anywhere

Hello,

I have TV Anywhere, running under Safari 9.1 on a MacBook Pro. All the 'standard' Virgin programming seems to play OK, but Sky Movies and Sky Sports are a huge problem. Despite installing Silverlight at least 10 times, every time I try to watch a Sky Channel I get a pop-up in the video window telling me to install Silverlight. I tried the normal support routes and still no joy. First, I was told to use Firefox, not Safari. Then, after a 50 minute session where Virgin's tech support people took remote control of my MacBook I was handed over to Gadget Rescue who again took control of my MacBook and installed Google Chrome because apparently it doesn't need any plug-in to play video? After my chat session with Gadget Rescue died for a second time, I tried to go it alone only to be advised by the system that Chrome isn't supported.

In desperation, I de- and re-installed Firefox and Silverlight and late last night finally succeeded in playing some Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels........ Yippee!!

Yippee , that is until this morning when yet again nothing runs. In Firefox I now get a video window with nothing, precisely nothing in it.

HELP!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Problems via TV Anywhere

Hi golfinstar

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that your having issues with Sky Movies and Sky Sports on your MacBook Pro.

From your account I can see that the Mac is registered for Sky Sports/Movies.

Are you currently using Firefox or Safari as the browser? You will need to use the browser you used to register the Mac. Can you check if the cookies are set to Always please. Have you tried to delete the device from list of registrations on your TV Anywhere account and re-registered the Mac?

Let me know how you get on
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
golfinstar
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay, but I've been travelling and also didn't have the ability to re-register my MacBook until after 1st April!

I'm currently using Firefox, but may well have initially registered using Safari. This evening I'm going to try your suggestion to delist and re-register, so fingers crossed...... But, as a side note I did finally manage to get my MacBook, Firefox and Silverlight viewing Sky Sports and Sky Movie channels. At that time, I could see a Silverlight 'permissions-type' icon in my browser bar to the left of the channel's address and I could select the option to "continue allowing" Silverlight. Unfortunately, that icon's now disappeared along with the ability to view any Sky channels!

All the Best

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi golfinstar

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I checked your account again as you mentioned you were unable to view Sky channels, and it now shows that the MacBook is not registered for Sky Sports/Movies.

It is showing as registered for TV Anywhere.

When you get chance, use the browser that you use the most, make sure it is up to date and so is Silverlight, then try to steam a channel to see if that will prompt you for registration.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
golfinstar
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, Sam..

My MacBook's no longer registered with Sky because I delisted it, expecting it to be recognised and auto-registered next time I tried to view a Sky Channel..... It didn't work! And I must have tried 4 or 5 times this past few days. 

I'm tempted to remove and reinstall Silverlight and Firefox and try the whole process over from scratch. Digging back into earlier threads on this topic, I remember seeing issues around Silverlight preferences. In particular, not having hardware-acceleration playback enabled??

To be honest, I'd much rather use Safari and Flashplayer but I guess there are problems around this combo with Sky? Also issues with a Safari/Silverlight combo?

Many thanks for your continued support!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi golfinstar, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. Smiley Happy

Flashplayer won't work as Sky use Silverlight instead. 

Make sure Playback is enabled and it's also a good idea to ensure your Cookies are set to 'Always'. 

If neither of these options work, it would be good to delete and reinstall Silverlight Smiley Happy

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos