Menu
tyrant_virus
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sky Cinema app not downloading on MacBook

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro that's up to date completely. I have tried multiple times to use my Mac to watch sky movies using my Virgin TV Anywhere. I get to the sky website where I log in as a Virgin customer, it tells me to download the new player.. I click download, the bar loads but it never says 'installation complete'. It just goes off and doesn't fully download the app. I have no Sky Cinema app on my Mac, just the installer in my downloads folder. I have tried to install it so many times, using different internet browsers and it's never worked. I've read on here that multiple people are having issues with the Sky app on Macs. Is it working for anyone? Can mine be fixed? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Cinema app not downloading on MacBook

Hi tyrant_virus, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue trying to download the new Mac player for use with Sky Cinema and Sky Sports. 

First of all, make sure you delete any files already installed before trying to re-download the player. If this doesn't work then you can revert back to the previous player of playing via the website using Silverlight. To do that follow these steps:

1.         Open up Finder

2.         Type Sky Go into the search field in the top left and make sure ‘This Mac’ is selected

3.         Find the ‘Sky Go Player’ in the search results and drag it to the trash. Or right click and ‘Move to Trash’.

4.         If the ‘Macintosh HD’ is showing on the desktop then skip to step 7

5.         Click on Finder at the top of the Mac and select ‘Preferences’

6.         Select the ‘General Tab’ and make sure ‘Hard Disk’ is selected to be shown on the desktop

7.         Open ‘Macintosh HD’ and go through the following: Users > User Profile/Name > Library

8.         Find the folder titled ‘Cisco’ and move it to the trash.

9.         Empty the trash, or at least empty it of Cisco folder and the Sky Go Player

10.      Open up your web browser and go to “microsoft.com/getsilverlight” and click ‘Install’. Open up the installation file (shows as dmg or compressed file) and follow the install wizard.

11.      Clear the browser cookies stored (If Safari is open then select ‘Safari’ at the top of the Mac > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data > Remove All > Remove Now)

12.      Navigate to “go.sky.com”. Sign in and then try and play some content.

13.      You may need to remove the already registered Mac from your device list. Found in ‘Manage Devices’ under ‘Settings’ when signed in on go.sky.com.

14.      You should now be able to play content successfully.

Come back and let me know how you get on. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
tyrant_virus
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I just tried this but didn't help. 

I followed all of the instructions up to 8 but could not find a file called 'cisco' on my MacBook. So I continued and followed the rest of the instructions but as i clicked to watch something linked to sky, I got the same message to download the new player, I tried again and it didn't work, again. 

What now? I'm supposed to be able to use this online feature but can't! It's really frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi tyrant_virus, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this and apologies to hear you've not been able to complete the steps Smiley Sad 

This is the only work around we've been given so if it's not working I would suggest speaking to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. They can take remote access and go from there. 

Come back and keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos