Menu
SimmersDad
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Rooted Phones or Tablets

My tablet is not rooted and therefore works fine with TV Anywhere although I have thought about it to enable proper access to SD cards. (I know this has been fixed in Lollipop but I'm waiting for my particular model to be upgraded, and it might be some time!).

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to ask why Virgin will not support rooted devices?

What has it got to do with VM, what people choose to do with their own devices?

SD

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rooted Phones or Tablets

SimmersDad wrote:

My tablet is not rooted and therefore works fine with TV Anywhere although I have thought about it to enable proper access to SD cards. (I know this has been fixed in Lollipop but I'm waiting for my particular model to be upgraded, and it might be some time!).

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to ask why Virgin will not support rooted devices?

What has it got to do with VM, what people choose to do with their own devices?

SD

Because the broadcasters do not wish you to use routed device as they fear that they can be used to copy the program being broadcast

0 Kudos
johnmclane
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My android device is not rooted and TV nowhere keeps telling me that it is. What a waste of time. My archos 101 cobalt tablet running android 4.2.2 as never worked with TV nowhere but i thought after the updates there might be a chance. No way im just being told Live TV streaming will not work if unauthorized modifications have been made to android which they haven't.Its just a glorified remote control.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi johnmclane, 

Thanks for your post and apologies that your device is showing as having modifications to it. 

Sometimes there is an app that makes TV Anywhere think it's rooted. Do your have Superuser or SuperSU installed on the device?

Let me know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
tip75
Up to speed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

amazing logic seeing as how easy it is to get a torrent, and the torrents are much better quality than low def TVAnywhere. 

0 Kudos
johnmclane
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry ive only just got back to you but i havnt got an app called superuser on my tablet. What type of app is it perhaps its under a different name. Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi johnmclane, 

Thanks for coming back to me here Smiley Happy

If it was on the phone then it would be under the name either Superuser or SuperSU. If you can't see either of these then it's unlikely to be on the phone. 

There may be another app on the phone that's confusing the TV Anywhere so we may need to perform a factory reset. 

Have you owned the device since new or is this something you bought second hand?

Come back to me Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
johnmclane
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I have had the tablet from new. i dont know whats causing the problem but a reset is probably the only answer. can you confirm that the Archos cobalt 101 running android 4.2 is compatible with TV Anywhere. Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi johnmclane, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

I'm not able to confirm that the reset will resolve the fault so make sure you back up anything important as a reset will mean you lose it. 

The Archos cobalt isn't a supported device but it has been enabled for use with TV Anywhere. While we expect it to work, we can't be sure it will work fault free. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
KingfisherUK
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If I remember rightly, the Archos tablets caused a lot of problems with Sky Go's root detection as well. I believe it was narrowed down to an issue with devices based on the RockChip processor family, which the Cobalt is based on.

Unfortunately, I don't think the issue was ever resolved by Sky either.....

0 Kudos