Menu
anoldclone
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Rental Movies on TV Anywhere App

Where has the ability to browse movies for rent gone on the latest edition of the TV Anywhere App? Can't find them anywhere. Not happy with the latest version of the App at all!

Seriously considering getting a Freeview box and just Netflix rather than this very expensive service that still can't give me decent Netflix streaming and BBC IPlayer that doesn't constantly buffer.

Helpful Answers
Crusoe
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Rental Movies on TV Anywhere App

I've the same question (raised in a separate thread). You used to be able to browse lists of movies that were available or if they weren't you could put them on a wish list. Two of the most useful movie lists were the weekly new rentals and the top rentals - helpful to decide before you got home if you wanted to rent a movie that evening. Now there's no list of these to view.

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Anoldclone,

Thank you for your time and writing into the Community Smiley Happy

I have been looking into the previous versions of TV Anywhere and I've not been able to see a facility where we can offer rentals through it. Can you tell me how you used to view this as I'm certain this isn't possible?

Keep in touch

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
anoldclone
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben, You used to click on browse at the bottom of the home screen, then movies and all the ones to rent were available to see, listed by genre or provider (such as Sky etc.). Now, you can only see what the app chooses to show you and these are not the ones you could rent.

Crusoe
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've the same question (raised in a separate thread). You used to be able to browse lists of movies that were available or if they weren't you could put them on a wish list. Two of the most useful movie lists were the weekly new rentals and the top rentals - helpful to decide before you got home if you wanted to rent a movie that evening. Now there's no list of these to view.
anoldclone
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Exactly so! Thanks Crusoe! 😃

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi anoldclone, 

Thanks for posting back to us Smiley Happy

You can’t watch movie rentals via TV Anywhere at all currently. There used to be a Virgin movies website but this has closed down. Now you can only watch movies you’ve rented via your TiVo®.

Word on the grapevine is you should keep your ears close to the ground though as there may be something coming your way soon Smiley Wink

Once I get any updates, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Crusoe
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath. I'm afraid the forum team keeps misunderstanding the question - nobody is asking to be able to watch movie rentals via the app.

This thread and my own are about being able to browse the movies that are available for rental, so that we can see a list of what's new each week. The rental itself is via the TiVo box menus, not via the app. We're talking about being able to see a list of movies, that's all.

You definitely used to be able to do this in the old version - one of the tabs allowed you to view content by genre (e.g. "action adventure movies", "family movies") and included categories like "Virgin Media new rentals" and "Virgin Media top rentals". It was very helpful in deciding whether there was something I'd want to watch later on when I got home.

To be clear again - this is not about renting movies via the app, or watching rentals via the app. It's about being able to see a list of movies, via the app, that are available for rental.
anoldclone
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Exactly so Crusoe. Why can't we browse movies for rent like we used to! Used to be much easier and convenient on the app than on the TV.

0 Kudos
Peejos
Settling in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Crusoe,

Did you ever get an answer to this phenomenally frustrating issue?

I can almost certainly guess your answer but it would still be good to know!

Many thanks
0 Kudos
Crusoe
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ha, not a good answer - just that there's no way to do it.

Doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone that removing functionality might inconvenience customers. Although it's Virgin Media that will ultimately suffer - if I don't know what's available to rent, I don't bother renting anything.

0 Kudos