Menu
RJSmith
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Problem registering device for Sky Sports

Hi there,

My laptop was registered for sky sports, however after an update from Windows 8 to 10 the Sky Sports page was saying that my device was not registered.

I went to the Virgin registration page where it tells me I have one change left, removed my laptop, however the link to register a device does not appear - see attachment.

I've tried this in both Chrome and Internet explorer with no joy... can anyone advise me what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

TVnowhere.png

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problem registering device for Sky Sports

To register the device, just start streaming Sky Sports & it should register automatically.  While in device management you might want to rename the automatically-assigned Sky device ID to something more memorable for future use.

All Replies
RJSmith
Tuning in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As a further update, even though I removed and re-added my laptop for the normal Virgin TV anywhere channels it is saying that the device is not registered and that I have reached my limit.

0 Kudos
RJSmith
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I registered the laptop using Chrome as the Register button was not visible in IE for either normal TV anywhere, or Sky Sports... does the browser make a difference...

0 Kudos
RJSmith
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone help... would have been nice to use TV Anywhere over Easter...

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You can't use Chrome at all for streaming TV Anywhere.

In Windows 10 it's best to use Firefox. Ensure your Silverlight is up to date.  Most browsers are seen as different devices, so in order to register in Firefox you might need another SKY device change.

In the wibbly-wobbly world of Virgin Media, any replies to your topic place your post right at the back of the queue for attention from the Web Team, who usually take 2-5 days to respond (obviously longer on Bank Holidays).  So you can wait another 2-5 days for a response here, get on the phone, or use online chat in order to get the extra device change that you need. In any event, be as clear as you can that you need a SKY device change, otherwise you'll get a VM device change, and as you are obviously aware, they are managed separately.

If you want to stream content other than Sky Sports on TV Anywhere, you can use Firefox for this too.  Ensure your Flash is up to date.

RJSmith
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I've installed firefox, and when trying to update Silverlight I am told that I am running the latest version.  I've also updated my flash for good measure.

Once again on the Sky Sports device section I am told that I have 1 device change available, however no button appears to allow me to add my PC.

Frustrated is not the word... I pay a serious amount of money each month for this service and if the answer is lack of compatibility with an operating system I have deliberately waited a long time to install to make sure any bugs are ironed out then I will be seriously upset at VM...

0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To register the device, just start streaming Sky Sports & it should register automatically.  While in device management you might want to rename the automatically-assigned Sky device ID to something more memorable for future use.

RJSmith
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Crocket - that solved it.

Why oh why is it different process to register for the Sky Devices... and the process has changed since it was first launched.

There should be a pop up on the screen where it says "empty slot" to advise you to goto the Sky Website, or even a hyperlink to take you there.

Oh well...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The process hasn't changed for Sky - it's always been the case that you start playing content via the Sky app or website to register a new device.

Also there is an FAQ at the bottom of the Sky devices registration page that says this:

How do I register a new device?

Once you have made a device slot available, which you can do by deleting one of your current devices, go back to the Sky Movies or Sky Sports app or website and try to watch a live channel or On Demand show, and the new device on which you are watching will automatically be registered. You should see a brief message at the top of the player window confirming this.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So why does Sky Sport say I've run out of devices - I haven't of course, it's a lie - but Sky-1, Living, etc. don't complain?

0 Kudos