Menu
howdmc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Problem accessing Sky Sports on Nexus

Hi

Newbie and first time poster, long term VM customer. Yesterday I signed up for Sky Sports/Sky Movies on Virgin.

TV / PC - all up and running.

I have installed Sky Sports app on my Nexus 7 (Android - Lollypop 5.1). I have logged in through the special Virgin logon and it has accepted username / password. It shows me the the news but won't let me watch the sports channels. I get "Unexpected error. Please try again later".

I have skimmed through the helpful advice elsewhere and done the following: rebooted internet & router / logged out / cleared cache / uninstalled / reinstalled / cleared cache again. Which is about the limit of my technical expertise.

My Nexus 7 device isn't registered as a device for Sky Sports / Movies, I suspect due to the known 5.1 Lollypop issue which is preventing me loading the VM app. Might that be the problem? If it is, and as Sky seems quite happy to run on my Nexus 7, I wonder if there is anyway around this until Virgin Media / Lollypop 5.1 harmonise?

I'd happily downgrade to Lollypop 5.0.2 but I don't know if that's possible without unlocking it, which would probably kibosh VM running on it anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help / ideas.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problem accessing Sky Sports on Nexus

Hi howdmc, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm really sorry to hear that TV Anywhere is not supported on your device currently with the 5.1 software. 

This is something we are aware of. 

We're already in talks with Google to get the restriction lifted on devices later than 5.0.2.

Once I have any news, i'll let you know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
dpjohnston
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had this problem a few days ago and you are the second poster on here today with the same issue. All I had to do was delete all data for the app, reopen it and then log in again and it works okay for me now. This seemed to sort it for the other poster with the same problem :

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/sky-sports-fails-when-loading-with-unexpected-error...

You may already have tried this so sorry if this advice is no good.

howdmc
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - trying the data option now although it didn't work first time. The other poster is on KitKat 4.4 - what android version are you on, please?
0 Kudos
howdmc
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Quick follow up - no joy, but thanks again for the prompt response. I'm thinking it's a VM/Lollypop 5.1 issue unless someone can reassure me on that?
0 Kudos
dpjohnston
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm on a Nexus 4 which is still on 5.0.1 for the moment but will probably get 5.1 in next few days so hopefully that's not the problem.

UPDATE: I've just checked Sky forum, as it's their app, but there doesn't seem to be anyone there reporting any issues with Android 5.1. I do have an original Nexus 7 and 10 with 5.1 but unfortunately I can't test it on one of them without using this month's device change and losing access on my phone.

howdmc
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I'll try loading it on my Nexus 4 and report back. It's not on 5.1.
0 Kudos
howdmc
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All is fine on Nexus 4 (Android 5.0.1). I'd be wary about accepting an Android 5.1 update if access to VM content is an issue. Too late for me!

If any of the VM team are on and can offer advice, it would appreciated - thanks to dpj in the meantime for prompting this useful test.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi howdmc, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm really sorry to hear that TV Anywhere is not supported on your device currently with the 5.1 software. 

This is something we are aware of. 

We're already in talks with Google to get the restriction lifted on devices later than 5.0.2.

Once I have any news, i'll let you know.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

happy_red
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How exactly has the answer helped the user use the Sky Sports app? I have the same problem on a Nexus 5 with Android 5.1. Todays TV Anywhere app update may allow me to watch those non Sky channels, but the Sky Sports app is still problematic.

0 Kudos
JABEL01
Settling in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was having the same issue and error "Unexpected error. Please try again later" but have solved it as below:

Access the App Info option and click the clear cache and clear data buttons - you will get a warning about being logged out but you need to do this.

Open the Sky Sports app again and you will need to login using your VM credentials again.

You should be able to watch Sky Sports again now - at least it worked for me!

I am using a Nexus 7 with Android 4.4.4 if that helps!?

I have resisted upgrading to 5.0.2 which my tablet keeps reminding me about!

0 Kudos